× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Internet Keeps Giving out and I'm ready to give up

XCore420
Aspirant

Internet Keeps Giving out and I'm ready to give up

Hello, so the WiFi-Extender I bought recently just does not work. No matter how many settings, how many factory defaults, how many times i have to move it. It will continously disconnect me from online games or anything that requires anything from the Internet. And Frankly, I sick and tired of it. The Version it is on is the latest  V1.0.1.78. I tried everything in the book. And I'm not sure what to do, when it does work I get great download speed, ping, etc. I ordered from Amazon and I honestly expected more from something that costed me $70. I just don't know what to do anymore. 

Model: EX6200v2|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

1. how far from the router is it?

2. What router are you connecting to? Firwmare on it?

3. What is your house material made of? (details help because materials like concrete, brick, plaster lathe, adobe, hvac, foil lined insulation all block wifi signals to an almost unusable extent)

4. If you do a network scan, how many 2.4ghz signals are there? How many 5ghz?

5. Are you using fastlane? 

6. have you tried moving the extender/router? Sometimes hvac within walls causes issues and moving an extender a few feet can make a big difference.

7. Occassionally the newest firmware causes issues and not fixes them as it should. Have you tried downgrading a version? If you do, make sure to do it over a hardwired connection and reset the device afterwards. 

Message 2 of 4
XCore420
Aspirant

1. Maybe about 50 feet Max

2. Im Connected to an Xfinity Router

3. Not sure what house is made of, but doubt it's causing the issue.

4. Yes I have been using fastlane, the 5ghz to 2ghz wifi worked well for a bit but then eventually gave out and disconnected, google giving "DNS missing" error. 

5. I've adjusted the channels many times, used the auto ones, and even changed them to the better ones, (2.4ghz, 1,6,11) currently using 44 on 5Ghz

Model: EX6200v2|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

@XCore420 wrote:

1. Maybe about 50 feet Max----appropriate distance

2. Im Connected to an Xfinity Router----not helpful as many isp provided routers a franky junk in my opinion. 

3. Not sure what house is made of, but doubt it's causing the issue.---house materials make a huge difference. Hvac, concrete, brick, plaster lathe, adobe, foil lined insulation all do great jobs of blocking wifi. For those places that have those materials, we usually recommend a powerline setup or running ethernet throughout the house and setting up multiple access points. 

4. Yes I have been using fastlane, the 5ghz to 2ghz wifi worked well for a bit but then eventually gave out and disconnected, google giving "DNS missing" error. 

5. I've adjusted the channels many times, used the auto ones, and even changed them to the better ones, (2.4ghz, 1,6,11) currently using 44 on 5Ghz----if you scan, how many of the 2.4ghz signals do you pickup and how many of the 5ghz. 

When you state you tried everything in the book, have you tried downgrading the firmware a version or 2? Occassionally firmware updates have been what causes problems (search r7000 firmware issues). If you try downgrading, make sure to do it over a hardwired connection and to reset afterwards. 

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7