× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Is Home Netowrk Security Contract BOGUS (FixMyWiFi.Net)??

F5Loar
Aspirant

Is Home Netowrk Security Contract BOGUS (FixMyWiFi.Net)??

After having much trouble configuring an EX8000 extender, I was able to contact "fixmywifiext.net and fixmywifi.net" online. After several VERY lengthy chats and email exchanges, I was talked into buying "Home Network Protection" contract for $249.99. It was called the "Diamond" plan. It had nothing specifically to do with the extender, rather is was security for the entire home network. As I understand the way it works, basically Netgear somehow routes ALL my internet traffic through their secure servers so that no other sites can put "rundll" files on my computer and log in whenever I log into my PC. Seems that everything is being "filtered" through Netgear. As I understand it, this service essentially replaces a hardware firewall at my physical location. At the time, it seemed like a good idea and was reasonable for "lifetime" ease of mind.

The rub I've had from the outset, is that I cannot see or feel anything. There's no icons, messages, etc. - nothing! Maybe I'm a control freak or something, but I want to SEE something and/or be able to MONITOR what is happening with MY home network. The "invisibility" of the protection is nice, but occasionally I want to "see or feel" SOMETHING!!

So, I'm now asking the community if this protection is real? Is it actually there? How do I know? Blind trust?? I don't think so. So I am about to write for the full refund (first 30 days only) if I cannot understand better or see something tangible. Does anyone else have this? Is it real?? I really don't know if I've been conned out of $250 or not.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
F5Loar
Aspirant

Re: Is Home Netowrk Security Contract BOGUS (FixMyWiFi.Net)??

So this is NOT Netgear authorized site or support?

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6

All Replies
PauLita
Luminary

Message 2 of 6
F5Loar
Aspirant

So this is NOT Netgear authorized site or support?

Message 3 of 6
F5Loar
Aspirant

Name of the "third party" NetGear contractor company is :  My Tree Cloud Solutions". They claim to be in Ohio, USA.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 4 of 6
antinode
Guru

> So this is NOT Netgear authorized site or support?

At "fixmywifiext.net", I read this:

Disclaimer:
      Fixmywifiext.net is an independent service provider. Any use of
      Trademarks, Brands, Products, and Services are referential and
      fixmywifiext.net has no affiliation with any of company unless
      such relationship is expressly specified. The services we offer
      may also be available on the brand owners' websites.

"fixmywifi.net" now says:

We are currently offline.
      Please visit again soon.  {sad}

Free advice: If you want to talk to Netgear, then start at
"netgear.com".

Message 5 of 6
F5Loar
Aspirant

Thanks so much antinode . . . these guys had me believing the EX8000 Nighthawk WiFi extender would eventually fail because sites that I don't even know about will be able to log on to my devices whenever I log on, and that the EX8000 would eventually fail as a result.

Model: R6800|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7