× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Is it possible to set the EX2700 in bridge mode only?

jplanglais
Aspirant

Is it possible to set the EX2700 in bridge mode only?

I can't find in the web-configuration of the EX2700 a way to set the unit in bridge mode only.

I want to use the device to receive WiFi and transfer the signal to the wired connection (so I don't want to use it as an extender). The connection itself works but I only get 1Mpbs transfer even tho the wifi signal is VERY strong (actually the EX2700 and my Ubiquity antenna are 3-4 inches apart). I'm using 2.4GHZ network.

I figured switching the unit to bridge mode would speed up the transfer but even by disabling the WiFi extender option on the web-portal (which I thought was THE way to set it a bridge) I still get crapy speed.

Also, the wired peripheral (a NAS) transfer way quicker when I use wired connection directly to my routeur (which I tested only for troubleshooting - it cannot be a permanent solution)

Please help!!

Model: EX2700|N300 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
jplanglais
Aspirant

Re: Is it possible to set the EX2700 in bridge mode only?

After several test I come to the conclusion that this unit is pure crap and does not do as advertised. I will be returning it. No more Netgear products for me.

Also, absolute aweful support.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@jplanglais wrote:

Also, the wired peripheral (a NAS) transfer way quicker when I use wired connection directly to my routeur (which I tested only for troubleshooting - it cannot be a permanent solution)

Of course end-to-end ethernet gigabit would be a lot faster.  Generally I'd expect to see something like ~40 mb/s with N300 connection

@jplanglais wrote:

I can't find in the web-configuration of the EX2700 a way to set the unit in bridge mode only.

I figured switching the unit to bridge mode would speed up the transfer but even by disabling the WiFi extender option on the web-portal (which I thought was THE way to set it a bridge) I still get crapy speed.

1 mbps is of course not useful, but disabling the client-facing wifi won't improve it - unless clients are actually connecting to that network and grabing all the bandwidth.

It's possible that the extender is too close to the Uquity antenna (overloading the receiver).  Can you try moving it further away?

Message 2 of 5
jplanglais
Aspirant

I've tried moving the unit further and changing the cable. While that made a very VERY slight difference going from 1MBPS upload to 1.5MPBS this is still not fast. Since the unit doesn't seem to have a dedicated bridge mode that would speed-up performance, can I conclude that my unit is either defective or simply not up-to-par with the advertised performance?

Message 3 of 5
jplanglais
Aspirant

After several test I come to the conclusion that this unit is pure crap and does not do as advertised. I will be returning it. No more Netgear products for me.

Message 4 of 5
schumaku
Guru

Complete beyond me why one can even think about using a NAS on a wireless bridge - and then on 2.4 GHz (the EX2700 is a 2.4 GHz only extender), and for a few feet distance. Even if expecting almost no-performance.

Is this magic "Ubiquity antenna" is a real WiFi AP Gigabit Ethernet connected WiFi AP, or some kind of mesh repeater?

Another interesting detail is the apparent difference when changing the network cable - what NAS is connected here, and was the interface reliably operating as Fast Ethernet device? Can't get rid of the impression there might be some very basic interop problem - on the wired Ethernet link.

@jplanglais wrote:

You had any exchange with Netgear's support?

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7