× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Is it possible to spread the RJ45 port on wn3000rp?

fredand
Aspirant

Is it possible to spread the RJ45 port on wn3000rp?

Hello Guys!

I found a old D-Link Ethernet Broadband Router (only supports 4-wired connections) and thought of using that toghether with my WN3000RP Extender. If I connect the router to my RJ45-port in the WN3000RP extender I thought I would be able just to connect devices to the router. But my devices do not get any IP. Neither the router turns up under connected devices in the web-console for my WN3000RP Extender.

What do you think guys is it impossible or should this work.

Best regards

Fredrik 

Model: WN3000RP|Universal WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 10
TheEther
Guru

Re: Is it possible to spread the RJ45 port on wn3000rp?

You have to set up the WN3000RP as an Access Point.  Follow these instructions in the manual.

Message 2 of 10
fredand
Aspirant

Hello!

Thanks for your fast reply!

Does this mean that I can extend my present network and at the same time connect a extra router to the extender for more wired devices?

In my case my network looks like:

Fiber Internet access point in basement.

Router A connected to the fiber.

Unfortenately this router gives a poor wifi-signal to the rest of the house.

But with the Netgear WN3000RP extender I can extend the wifi-signal from router A to the rest of the house. 

I have connected a lot of devices through wifi to the extender, and it works super!

Now I need to connect more wired devices to the extender as well.

I found a old router with out any wifi, only wired-support.

In the documentation that you linked to it do not sound that the extender still could accept devices connections through wifi after turning it into a access point?

Am I right?

Best regards

Fredrik

Message 3 of 10
TheEther
Guru

All you really need is an Ethernet switch.  Connect one port to router A, connect another port to the WN300RP and connect any other wired devices to the remaining ports.

You can use a router in place of the switch.  You should disable the DHCP server on this router to keep it from interfering with router A.  Use only the LAN ports on this router.  Leave the WAN/Internet port disconnected.

The extender will still accept Wi-Fi clients.  That's what an Access Point does.  It wouldn't be very useful if it couldn't.  An Access Point just happens to use an Ethernet connection back to the router instead of Wi-Fi.  Ethernet is much faster and more reliable than Wi-Fi.

Message 4 of 10
fredand
Aspirant

Hmm!
I then think I have a problem. Please correct me If I am wrong.
In my case I can not pull a cabel between my floors.
In my basement a have router A, connected to the fiber.
To enhance the Wifi-signal to my livlig-floor I use the extender. Works really good!
So the link between router A and the extender needs to be by Wifi.

Now I just need to be able to connect more wired devices near to the extender. Then I thought of my old router (B), perhaps I could use that to connect to the rj45 in the extender.

It sounds like this is not possible?

Best regards
Fredrik
Message 5 of 10
TheEther
Guru

Yes, that may work. You should still disable the DHCP server on router B and connect it to the extender using one of the LAN ports.
Message 6 of 10
fredand
Aspirant

Hello guys!
Thanks for all replies!
It acctually seems like my router B is broken. I just can not connect to it. No big deal, it is very old so it might be better to buy something newer.
What do you think of a switch instead of a router? Correct me If I am wrong when I say that a switch will suit me better?
Best regards
Fredrik
Message 7 of 10
TheEther
Guru

Yes, a switch will be better, and cheaper.
Message 8 of 10
fredand
Aspirant

Hello guys!
Thanks for all help!
I have just plugged in a new cheap switch and it works really good!

Btw correct me If I am wrong the first early version of wn3000rp is not possible to turn into a accesspoint?
Best regards
Fredrik
Message 9 of 10
TheEther
Guru

This page in the manual, which I believe is for the first version, says that it can function as an Access Point.

Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7