× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Is mywifiext.com safe?

tennhall
Initiate

Is mywifiext.com safe?

I was attempting to set up my extender for 5G today but was having problems so went to mywifiext.com. A chat window opened and then a tech called me. I allowed him to access my computer to get it set up but then he told me my connection wasn't safe and there was access from numerous ip addresses other than my own. Then he tried to sell me a security package for $399. Now I'm afraid I was on a fraudulent site and they have access to my computer. Is mywifiext.com safe??? The page looked just like the one I saw on the Netgear site but now I'm seeing references to mywifiext.net instead of mywifiext.com. He gave me his name and call back number but the website he gave me was www.thesofttree.net.

Model: WN3000RPv3|N300 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 5
TheEther
Guru

mywifiext.com and mywifiext.net are safe and go to the same place on Netgear's website.  The chat window that opened was either a coincidence or you mistyped the URL.  Don't call that number back.  It's definitely a scam.  If they installed any software on your computer, then uninstall it immediately.  If they logged into your router, then undo any changes.

What's supposed to happen is that you are supposed to connect to your extender's Wi-Fi network.  Then you open a browser to either mywifiext.net or mywifiext.com.  The extender will intercept that connection and redirect it to the extender.  Then you can proceed to set up the extender.  It's a clever trick employed by Netgear to help you set things up without using an IP address.  No traffic is supposed to go out to the Internet.

But if you aren't connected to the extender, then mywifiext.net or mywifiext.net will go out to the Internet to Netgear's site.  You should see a webpage that says that you aren't connected to the extender.  This is supposed to be a clue that you didn't connect to the extender's Wi-Fi network before pointing your browser at mywifiext.net or mywifiext.com.

Message 2 of 5
tennhall
Initiate

Oh my! I looked at my history and I accidentally put a dash between wifi and ext!  mywifi-ext.com. He was in my router settings and also used cmd to access something on my computer and made changes. I thought it was ok because years ago I had a Linksys router and they accessed my computer to fix an issue. So if I change my router password would that prevent further access? The problem is, I can't log out of my router settings. I have AT&T and there is no log out option. Now I'm a nervous wreck!

Message 3 of 5
TheEther
Guru

mywifi-ext.com is registered to a place in Australia and is definitely not a Netgear website.

You should definitely change your router password.  Unfortunately, that may not be enough.  They may have installed malware on your computer.  You should scan your computer for viruses and uninstall any recently installed programs that you don't recognize.  Look for guides on the Internet for scanning for malware.  If you really want to play it safe, then back up your personal data and reinstall your O/S (i.e. Windows or OSX).

Good luck.

Message 4 of 5
Jaysonmiller
Aspirant

hey ten,

I really uderstand your concerns here but i did worked with this company once and they are working with me to help me out from 2 years, and i should say they always helped me out, if they were any scam , they might have not responded to my calls or emails while i need help.

Cheers!

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7