× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Is the AC1900 WiFi Mesh Extender backwards compatible by default in type b/g/n wifi?

bekinde2all
Aspirant

Is the AC1900 WiFi Mesh Extender backwards compatible by default in type b/g/n wifi?

I have extended my wifi with the AC1900 WiFi Mesh Extender and my sonos beam does not see the network in the basement even though my samsung TV does.

Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: Is the AC1900 WiFi Mesh Extender backwards compatible by default in type b/g/n wifi?

I'm a bit confused here. 

what router did you connect the extender to? 

Did you set it up in mesh mode (same ssid)?

Or did you disable that feature?

The tv "sees" the network but not the sonos? 

Message 2 of 6
bekinde2all
Aspirant

Re: Is the AC1900 WiFi Mesh Extender backwards compatible by default in type b/g/n wifi?

Yes I set it up in mesh mode with the same SSID as the wifi router/modem. Sonos beam doesn't see the network in list off networks to connect it to, and sonos error says to make sure your wifi is transmitting in b/g/n. And yes, the TV and any other device in the basement now sees the network strong after I installed the mesh extender on the floor above it but the sonos beam that is sitting under the TV doesn't.

Message 3 of 6

@bekinde2all wrote:

I have extended my wifi with the AC1900 WiFi Mesh Extender

Which one?

AC1900  is not a reliable guide to model number. Many devices come with an AC tag, but it is essentially a label that Netgear, and other brands, attach to hardware to describe wifi speeds.

Look at the label on the device for the model number.

EX6400?

Message 4 of 6
bekinde2all
Aspirant

The model is "Your Product: AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Mesh Extender(EX6400v3)"

Message 5 of 6

@bekinde2all wrote:

The model is "Your Product: AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Mesh Extender(EX6400v3)"

@plemans also asked about the router the extender connects to. A more complete description of your network would also include the make and modem of the modem that sits between the router and the Internet.

Your subjects ask " backwards compatible by default in type b/g/n wifi?"

In that context, compatibility could mean Mesh compatibility between the router and the extender. That depends on the router.

But it could also refer to compatibility of the sonos beam with the b/g/n wifi. That is down to the Sonos. There shouldn't be any problem on that front. According to the data sheet it "Supports 802.11ac & b/g/n WiFi devices".

I'd look for some other issues with the Sonos.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7