× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Is there a way to have 2 completely separate WiFi networks.

Mrtwizzpops
Follower

Is there a way to have 2 completely separate WiFi networks.

Hello!

I use this to share my wifi with my neighbours.

I have no issue with having them on my network the problem is when I go to play something on my TV with a youtube App for example, it just zooms to my neighbours TV!

Ideally I would like to completely isolate them from my own stuff, so I can be on one network and they can be on another and I can't accidentally do stuff like that in the future. 

Somebody gave me this wifi extender recently and I am actually using it to give the neighbours better signal from my BT home hub 5(possibly 6) and I was wondering if there was any way at all to completely isolate each wifi connection so they can't pass data like videos from connection 1 ( My phone ), to the extended connection 2 ( Neighbours TV )

Is this possible with this device?

Thanks for reading! Hope I was clear. Cheers.

Twizz

Model: EX6100|AC750 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 2
StephenB
Guru

Re: Is there a way to have 2 completely separate WiFi networks.

What you really need is a router that has the "guest network" feature.  That has the network isolation feature you are looking for. Unfortunately BT hasn't put that feature into their routers.

The extender doesn't have that feature either.  You could upgrade your home hub with another router that has the guest network feature, and then extend the guest network.  

@Mrtwizzpops wrote:

I was wondering if there was any way at all to completely isolate each wifi connection so they can't pass data like videos from connection 1 ( My phone ), to the extended connection 2 ( Neighbours TV )

Also your neighbors can access your PCs and any other devices that are on your home network.   You need to be careful on security (or be very trusting) when you share your home network.

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7