It Tech Scam

Jfarr63
Initiate

It Tech Scam

I went to the Netgear site to find support with my Nighthawk extender.  At the bottom of the screen a chat window opened and asked if they could call me to discuss.  I said yes, and gave my phone number.  After several wasted hours on the phone, and giving them $189, I got nowhere and stopped them when I realized they were messing with my computer and scamming me.  Here is the text file they created.  They billed my under IT Tech.  I trusted them for awhile because the chat window opened when I was on the Netgear site.  I will never again be able to use my extender, and will switch to another device that has better support.  

Model: EX7000|AC1900 Nighthawk WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: It Tech Scam

Well, what seems to look like a legit Netgear (or many other vendors which are suffering from the same Scam Mafia!) typically are not Netgear sites. There is no Netgear service offered for support at these 189 US$. Even if you would opt for a Gearhead Support Plan, there isn't one at this rate.

Netgear Gearhead Support Plans US.PNG

You can call Netgear for support - but have to initialize the case online on https://my.netgear.com/ - this requires your product is registered, you product is eligible for phone support (e.g. 90 days, or support service contract) - then you can get a legit number to call under "Call us".

MyNetgear - My Support - Call us.PNG 

That's the only way - in most regional markets at least. There are no "numbers to find" - unless you want to get scammed again.

Request your money back from your credit card company, report fraud.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

You blame Netgear because you Googled whatever Scam site doing a rip-off instead of using the official support channel. No, you have visited a counterfeit site, unlikely Netgear. And now accusing Netgear for not providing support. Tsk tsk tsk.
Message 2 of 4
Jfarr63
Initiate

Not true at all.  I was on a Netgear site.  That is what made it look legit, to me.  It was not something I blindly googled.  the chat window popped up in the Netgear.com site.  So yes, I am blaming Netgear for two reasons. One, when I suspected something was wrong, I tried to find a support number to call, and it is virtually impossible to find one.  Even after you find one, the automated system makes it hard to find a human being to talk to. Second, I am not the only person who has experienced this, and Netgear seems to make their site easy to hack into, and create these phony chat windows.  If you look online you will find several folks who have googled other sites (the issue you identified) and experienced similar issues. There are things that Netgear can do to make it easier to find a legit number to call.  

Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Well, what seems to look like a legit Netgear (or many other vendors which are suffering from the same Scam Mafia!) typically are not Netgear sites. There is no Netgear service offered for support at these 189 US$. Even if you would opt for a Gearhead Support Plan, there isn't one at this rate.

Netgear Gearhead Support Plans US.PNG

You can call Netgear for support - but have to initialize the case online on https://my.netgear.com/ - this requires your product is registered, you product is eligible for phone support (e.g. 90 days, or support service contract) - then you can get a legit number to call under "Call us".

MyNetgear - My Support - Call us.PNG 

That's the only way - in most regional markets at least. There are no "numbers to find" - unless you want to get scammed again.

Request your money back from your credit card company, report fraud.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E