× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Just Wifi to Ethernet without range extension? Possible?

Tjalve
Aspirant

Just Wifi to Ethernet without range extension? Possible?

Hello.

Im trying to solve a very simple problem thet doesnt seem to have a simple solution. I have a wifi and accesspoints in my house and it works great. The problem is that i want to hookup my heatpump to the internet to be able to buy electricity when its cheap. The problem is that the heatpump only has an ethernet connection and there is no good way for me to get a TP-cable to the room where the heatpump is. But since i have great wifi coverage, the solution should be some kind of Wifi to ethernet bridge. Since i dont need any kind of performance (5mbps is fine), but that seems to be impossibel to find one...

Currently im using a Raspberry Pi that forward all traffic from wifi to ethernet. It works, but i would like to use my raspberry for other projects and buy a working and stable solution instead.

I know there are "range extenders" that have an ethernet jack. And that would work if you could disable the "extender"-part. Since i have great wifi coverage and i dont need an extender, that would only disturb my current wifi. I have tried with a range extender befor and one more radio device shouting only made performance worse on all the other APs.

I need a way to plug something into a wall socket, connect to a wifi and extend the wifi to an ethernet device, without disturbing my current wifi. Simple problem with a hard solution. Anyone have any ideas?

Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: Just Wifi to Ethernet without range extension? Possible?

Just use the extender. 

You don't need to disable the "extender" part. 

A bridge is basically a wireless extender but only allows hardwired devices to connect. 

The extender will function the same but just set it so the extenders ssid is different so other devices aren't connecting to it. 

Message 2 of 6
Tjalve
Aspirant

I know that i dont "have to" disable it. The problems is that i WANT to disable the extender. I have tested using an extender and the extra antenna is disturbing my other APs. I just want a device that can take a wifi signal and turn it into ethernet. Thats it. No extra antennas or radios. Just an ethernet jack.

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

You can buy an ethernet---->wireless bridge device but not from netgear. 

And it'll function the same as having used an extender that you have nothing connected to. 

Message 4 of 6
Tjalve
Aspirant

I realize this is a netgear forum, but if you could point me to one of these devices, i would appritiate it. i do NOT want a extra SSID taking up radio space (the neighborhood is overcrowded on the 2,4Ghz band as it is. 5Ghz is better, but not great there either)

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

I can't point you at a specific device (per t & C). you can search on amazon through. 

You realize its not taking up extra space? Extenders aren't using the spectrum unless they're rebroadcasting. If nothing is connected to the wireless, its only acting as a bridge. You can even disable the ssid broadcast on some device so you don't see them. 

what extender did you have? 2.4ghz is sensitive to interference and broadcasts a lot further and through more materials. A simple dual band one (disable its 2.4ghz) might be a reasonable option

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7