× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

LAN access from remote

mirrorshades
Aspirant

LAN access from remote

I'm getting a lot of weird log entries on my WNDR37AV that I don't understand. I have an internet accessible webcam set up on a very high and non-default port number. Just about daily I get at least one log entry showing remote access to my network camera, and when I check the ip address, it will sometimes belong to a major website such as Google or Wikipedia. Because the port number is so high and is not the default, it seems strange that someone would find it by scanning, and even more strange that an employee at Google would waste company resources scanning every port on a random guy's ip address. Is there some reason other than remote LAN access that these log entries would be created? :confused:

Here is one that was just logged:

[LAN access from remote] from 208.80.152.211:80 to 10.0.0.253:52127, Thursday, September 15,2011 14:43:55

Thanks in advance!
Message 1 of 5
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: LAN access from remote

webcam.... is this independent IP Camera or connected to a PC with USB type web cam?
Message 2 of 5
mirrorshades
Aspirant

No, it's actually a network cam, I think it's marketed as a pet cam and connects directly to the router. It's an older model of the Panasonic BL-C121A.
Message 3 of 5
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

in the that case because you have port opening outside are continue to scan and penetrate to those open ports.
Message 4 of 5
mirrorshades
Aspirant

It still seems odd that anyone would scan such a high port :confused:... Also, though, I don't understand why I'd have scans from IP adresses at Google or Wikipedia -- I've had other weird ones as well, Verizon is one I remember recently. Anyway, thanks for your help.
Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7