× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Looking for a long range recommendation

bleucamaro
Follower

Looking for a long range recommendation

I'm trying to setup a network for a house and shop building.  The house is semi-rural, approximately 3400sf.  There is an existing network closet at the northwest corner of the house with CAT-6 wired to most of the rooms through a switch.  This is also where the modem and existing router are located.  The closest portion of the shop to place a node is 170ft from the network closet.

I was thinking about going to a mesh network with the router in the original location with nodes in the office (semi central to house) and at the shop. 

I am concerned this might not be enough punch to get through a couple walls and carry the 170ft distance.

Would it be better to:

1) Use a router that supports mesh networks with removable antennas, and connect a high-gain directional antenna, with orbi or nighthawk nodes (please recommend a router, and nodes/extenders).

2) Use nighthawk mesh or orbi with extender (please recommend a compatible setup)

3) Other???

I've attached an arial photo for reference of size/scale

Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: Looking for a long range recommendation

I would look at a point to point system. That would allow you to bridge the distance. 

Netgear just came out with one but its not released yet. You can get other versions from other vendors. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Business-Wireless/AirBridge-Long-Distance-Outdoor-Access-Point-WBC5...

Message 2 of 4
SharanM
NETGEAR Expert

Dear BLEUCAMARO & PLEMANS,

WBC502 - Insight Instant Wireless AirBridge is lalready aunched and available in market. Please check.

More details about WBC502 AirBridge @ https://www.netgear.com/support/product/wbc502.aspx

Thanks

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

@SharanM it'd be fun to play with and see how well it'd function as well as for troubleshooting for others but the significant other might be a little upset if I buy more networking gear 🙂 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7