× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Looses connection

noboundaries
Guide

It is very disappointing!! this extender is so intermittent, when its working with its parent netgear 6300 router, wish they would fix it!! this is just not good enough, anyone would thing its Belkin rubbish..
Message 26 of 44
Oen
Novice
Novice

Hello,

I have exactly the same problem, after 2-3 days the repeater has no connection I must disconnect and reconnect the repeater

I tried with 3 different routers:

- ORANGE LIVEBOX PLAY
- NETGEAR WNDR3400
- NETGEAR R6100
Message 27 of 44
FGR
Novice
Novice

+1, same issue here, FIX IT NETGEAR!! At a premium price i expect premium service!
Message 28 of 44
SimonNWalker
Novice

+1.
Same problem and everything I've tried won't fix it.
I also want to say how disappointed I am with NetGear support. One year HARDWARE warranty and only 90 days software. So they can have software that makes to product unusable, but not be responsible to fix it. I find this almost criminal. Amazing.
I was two weeks out of my 90 day software support and they send me this...

"Dear Simon,

Thank you for contacting NETGEAR Email support.

Your EX6200 comes with the following warranty from the date of purchase:

90 days basic technical support
1 year Hardware Warranty

Based on the product registration, your device is no longer eligible for the 90 days free technical software support assistance from a support expert. Since the device is still within hardware warranty, you may contact our phone support 408-NETGEAR (408-638-4327) or 1-888-NETGEAR (1-888-638-4327) to perform a basic hardware check and determine if the device is still functional.

I also want to make sure you are aware there are other options available for you to utilize such as:

• Self-help web articles http://support.netgear.com/for_home
• NETGEAR Forums http://forum1.netgear.com

Aside from the above free options, I highly recommend our GearHead Premium Services which will entitle you to phone support for this issue and in addition you also get unlimited support for all your other home networking devices. For more information, you may visit the GearHead website at http://gearhead.netgear.com.

Thank you for choosing NETGEAR.

Regards,

Alfred
Expert ID 46208
NETGEAR Support Expert

"

I'm so glad I paid so much money for this product expecting a quality product.
Message 29 of 44
FGR
Novice
Novice

I opened a case for this problem and are still waiting for the solution as i am not on the 90 day limit yet, also BY EUROPEAN LAW, they are obligated to give you TWO year of warranty on products bought in EUROPE, so 1 year warranty is BS over here.:D

Also within this time period period you may expect a good working product, and at this moment this is not the case, so if my case is not solved i will contact my consumer organisation to start a claim if they keep me in the dark.;)
Message 30 of 44
EtheB
Aspirant

SimonNWalker wrote:
+1.
Same problem and everything I've tried won't fix it.

When you say "everything" have you gone the full reset to scratch process as described in painful detail earlier in this post?
I am not making any apologies for Netgear service but since I initially went several rounds with their tech support & subsequent suggestions (including up to L2 support), the final outcome has (almost surprisingly) been an extender that has been rock solid for months now.

So much so I'm not game to make any further changes to it 🙂
Message 31 of 44
SimonNWalker
Novice

EtheB. The simple answer is Yes. EVERYTHING.
I've software reset and Hardware reset using the button.
I've tried Fastlane and NOT not Fastlane.
Re-flash, Reset and started over.
The issue always comes back.

I appreciate your thoughts, and obviously you have no idea of my skill level so I could be someone who doesn't know what they are doing, but I've been in networking for about 30 years and consider myself high in the technical abilities front.

There really should be a law against this type of thing.
Netgear should be responsible for their products, especially one that is a top of the line, high performance product like this. Responses like the one I received previously from Netgear are ridiculous.

There is clearly an issue with this product, either hardware or software and they should support it.

I'm guessing somewhere in the fine print of everything they sell they are protected in some way, but I am going to speak to an attorney friend of mine and get his opinion on this matter.

EtheB wrote:

When you say "everything" have you gone the full reset to scratch process as described in painful detail earlier in this post?
I am not making any apologies for Netgear service but since I initially went several rounds with their tech support & subsequent suggestions (including up to L2 support), the final outcome has (almost surprisingly) been an extender that has been rock solid for months now.

So much so I'm not game to make any further changes to it 🙂
Message 32 of 44

New firmware has been posted. Does it resolve the problem for anyone? I'm not in a position to test it myself right now due to time constraints.
Message 33 of 44
wpwilliams
Novice

DigitalMaestro wrote:
New firmware has been posted. Does it resolve the problem for anyone? I'm not in a position to test it myself right now due to time constraints.

If you are referring to Firmware Version 1.0.1.60_1.1.98, that zip file is corrupted. When unzipping it says "file fragments". Tried it 3 times.
Message 34 of 44
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The Windows interpretation of a .chk file as ‘Recovered File Fragments’ is just that, an interpretation/association. Since it’s a firmware file which is simply uploaded to the EX6200 using the router GUI, Windows plays no practical part in the process, and the file should simply upload without any issues.
Message 35 of 44
wpwilliams
Novice

You are right.. I was worried about using a file that said "fragments", but it uploaded and the firmware is updated. Thanks!
Message 36 of 44
lurzan
Novice

EX6200 Firmware Version 1.0.1.60_1.1.98 New Features and Enhancements: Added wireless 2.4G JP Country code and whether channel Ch120~128 for JP region. Updated firmware for new hardware change. Updated wireless driver to fix 5GHz interface with Access Point mode scan fail. Fixed fail to assign IP address to Ethernet LAN after reset. To Upgrade Note: To avoid wireless disconnect issue during the firmware download process, NETGEAR recommends that firmware upgrade be performed on a computer with wired connection. Write down all the settings which you changed from the default values, since you may need to re-enter them manually. Download and extract the new firmware to a convenient place such as your desktop. The filename after extracting is EX6200-V1.0.1.60_1.1.98.chk Log in to the device using a Web browser. The URL is http://www.mywifiext.net. Click Maintenance > Firmware Upgrade Click Browse and find the file you just downloaded. Click Upload. While the firmware is loading, do not interrupt the upgrade process.
Message 37 of 44

wpwilliams wrote:
You are right.. I was worried about using a file that said "fragments", but it uploaded and the firmware is updated. Thanks!

Any feedback on performance, bugs, new features? I heard a rumour that wired access point functionality would be added, is that in there? And finally, any improvement on the dropped connections?

Thanks
Message 38 of 44
SimonNWalker
Novice

So I've been connected for over a week and so far the connection has not had issues. I factory reset after the firmware upgrade and reconnected using Fastlane again.

I do seem to have a performance problem now.

When I copy a file from my server to my laptop which is connected through the EX6200, Windows is telling me the transfer rate is about 4.5 MB/s. This is crazy slow. Thie is plugged in using Ethernet to a port on the EX6200 and WiFi is turned off.

I'm back configured using FastLane and my signal strength from the EX6200 is four bars -58 dBm with a link speed of only 156 Mbps on the 5GHz band.
I have another ultrabook which is connected using only Wireless N to my R7000 using 2.4GHz and when I transfer files, Windows is reporting a transfer rate of around 5.2GHz.

When I get a chance I'm going factory reset both the router (R7000) and the Extender (EX6200) and see if I can resolve anything, but I'm really getting fed up with Netgear hardware and the lack of support provided.
Message 39 of 44
therand
Aspirant

I bought one a couple of weeks ago and am having the same issue. Did the latest firmware update fix this problem?
Message 40 of 44
WinterMute
Star

I had this problem and another one--that any time an Ethernet cable was plugged in, the physical connections slowed to impossible speeds (typically 0.1Mbps). I did a lot of troubleshooting before engaging support, and then together we did the whole routine: other firmware versions, factory resets, remove and re-add network adapters on all clients. I've done FastLane/no FastLane.

For now I've got a replacement coming my way. We'll see if that fixes the problem. It's critical for me because the EX is my link to my home office and I have to do some late-night WFH stuff to manager servers and code.

I'm hoping this problem is fixed with a new unit--reading this forum doesn't give me a ton of hope. If it *doesn't* fix the problem, I'll post back here if I learn anything.
Message 41 of 44
Zakko79
Initiate

Hi,
same problem with one of my two EX6200, every day drops the 2.4 GHZ connection,
I have the latest firmware V1.0.1.60_1.1.98
Rebooting fixes the issue for another day....

Message 42 of 44
Wingman33
Aspirant

I've had exact issues as everybody else and have not found a solution. This thread looks like it goes back as far as the day it was released. I simply can not believe there has been no solution to this problem from the manufacturer. How does Netgear get away with this?.... It should actually be illegal for them to be selling this s*#@. 

Message 43 of 44
nhann
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Please see the following discussion on the EX6200 connection issue:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/WiFi-Range-Extenders-Repeaters/EX6200-drops-2-4GHZ-connection-every...

Message 44 of 44
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7