× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Low transfer rate @ 2.4 GHz

genwhisper
Aspirant

Low transfer rate @ 2.4 GHz

Hi all,

recently I've upgraded my wireless network with WN2500RP. The main goal was to extend 5 GHz range but on the other hand I was planning to preserve 2.4 GHz transfers at least on the same speed level.

In order to make the situation mmore clear I'll bring my devices and connection types:
1. Linksys E4200 (2.4/5 GHz wi-fi router) works in two-range mode;
2. Wi-Fi Extender (Netgear WN2500RP) - works in FastLane mode (2.4 GHz to router / 5 GHz to devices);
3. NAS (Netgear Ultra 2) - connected with cable to WN2500RP;
4. iPhone 4 - 2.4 GHz/802.11g connection to router;
5. Netbook ASUS Eee PC 1008P - 2.4 GHz/802.11g connection to router;
6. Desktop PC - 5 GHz/802.11n connection to Extender;

Briefly, I've reached my main goal - extend 5GHz range and increase data transfers from NAS to my desktop PC (in average from 5-6 MB/sec up to 13 MB/sec). I general I'm satisified with that result (NAS directly connected with cable to router had similar numbers, a bit more maybe - 14-15 MB/sec).

But in the same time all my 2.4 GHz devices connected to router have a weak data transfer rates from my NAS all the time (checked early mornings and deep nights when interference effect was quite low). In numbers: from 3.5-5 MB/sec rate had droppped to 1.5-2 MB/sec).
Setting up different channels for 2.4 GHz network didn't affect results above.

So here's my question - is it fine in terms of extender usage or there's some kind of anomaly? Possibly new firmware release will improve this situation (btw when is's planned)?

PS Just in case of official NG guys presence - should I submit my question thru official support page or forum is ok?

Thanks in advance!
Message 1 of 2
genwhisper
Aspirant

Re: Low transfer rate @ 2.4 GHz

After all I've decided to claim this issue to technical support.
Official response (in case if someone will face with the same scenario):
"This problem will be resolved in next firmware release. Though no particular release date yet."
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7