× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

MAC Address Suthentication

SquireDude66
Aspirant

MAC Address Suthentication

Hi

I have an AC2200 EX7300v2 model installed into my system for several months now and i am still unable to get it for properlu founction... I keep getting a "No Internet" message.

I have spent countless hours over the last 2 months trying to work with technical support to no avail.

They finally feel me a replacement unit and it has the same response.

My question is...

Will this model Authenticate against the units MAC address?

Thanks

Model: EX7300v2|AC2200 Nighthawk X4 WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 3
schumaku
Guru

Re: MAC Address Suthentication

The access to the extenders wireless network happens only by using the SSID and the network security key (network password, preshared key, PSK, .... all the same).

These consumer devices don't offer any built-in or forwarding any MAC based authentication.

Hard (no, simply impossible!) to understand your exact use case. Please describe exactly where the MAC based auth does come into the game.

@SquireDude66 wrote:

Will this model Authenticate against the units MAC address?

Which unit MAC address are you talking of here? Some access points might have allow and/or deny filters for allowed wireless clients.  

Or does the primary wireless router (resp. the access point you connect the extender to) require any MAC based authentication (e.g. calling a site/business/university RADIUS/authentication server)

Message 2 of 3
SquireDude66
Aspirant

Re: MAC Address Authentication

Hi,

Thanks for eh advise and com-back.

The flow of authentications is as follows...

(a) I give the Virtual MAC address from teh software to the service provider

(b) They verify that they are getting a connection to that MAC address

(c) The set the authentication to "Auto"

Meaning that when there servers see my MAC address as active they automatically let it through.  Any other MAC addresses are sent to a New Account process.

I hope this helps.

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7