× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: MAC Filtering at EX7000

gfvalvo
Guide

MAC Filtering at EX7000

So, I’m using the EX7000 as an Access Point with a hard-wired Gigabit Ethernet connection back to the router. It looks to me like there’s no way to implement real MAC Filtering at the EX7000 --- meaning I supply a list of allowed MAC address and the EX7000 denies connection to devices not on the list.

Is this truly the case? If it is, this sure seems like a half-baked design. I can’t do the filtering at the router, because as far as it’s concerned, all the devices connected to the EX7000 are hardwired by virtue of the Gigabit Ethernet connection.

Appreciate hearing about any workarounds.

Thanks.

Greg

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
netwrks
Master

You could look at SNB forums. NG's direct competitor probably does it better in AP mode, I have two R7000's running Xvortex third party firmware, in AP mode.. They do ACL as you would expect. I don't use it but I have looked through the web ui.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
netwrks
Master

The manual indicates going here: Select Settings > Connected Devices. At bottom of page..

Message 2 of 6
gfvalvo
Guide

I’m aware of that. It just allows you to DENY access to given MAC address, not provide a list of APPROVED MAC address. Also, to deny access the device needs to be connected first or else it’s not listed. So, in order to prevent connection by a device I don’t want, I first have to let it connect. What kind of perverse logic is that?

Message 3 of 6
netwrks
Master

Swap it for an R7000. Put third party firmware on it and away you go..

Message 4 of 6
gfvalvo
Guide

I suppose I could build one too. Neither approach is acceptable when the functionality should be available out of the box. If not from Netgear, then someone else.

Message 5 of 6
netwrks
Master

You could look at SNB forums. NG's direct competitor probably does it better in AP mode, I have two R7000's running Xvortex third party firmware, in AP mode.. They do ACL as you would expect. I don't use it but I have looked through the web ui.

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7