× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: MAC address ACL kills connection

RaleighJ
Follower

MAC address ACL kills connection

Our WN1000RP loses Internet connectivity every time I enable MAC address ACL on our NETGEAR WGR614 router, even though I've added the WN1000RP's MAC address to the router's access control list.

As per the WN1000RP_UM_9Nov12.pdf manual from the web site, I turned off ACL, connected the Booster to the router, and let the router detect and add it to the list. (Unlike the PDF manual which suggested the Booster's MAC address would begin with 02:0F:B5, our Booster's MAC begins with 44:94:FC.)

As long as the router's ACL is off, connectivity through the Booster is fine. As soon as I enable ACL, network/Internet access through the Booster is lost.

Any suggestions welcome.

J
Message 1 of 5
dsir
Aspirant

I have just joined this forum to find a solution to exactly the same problem.

I have a WNDR3700 wireless router and also a WN3000RP range extender. If I disable the MAC address access list on the WNDR3700 I can get an internet connection through the WN3000RP. If I enable the MAC address access list I cannot get a connection through the WN3000RP.

I have checked the settings of both devices carefully and followed the setup instructions exactly, but to no success. Any suggestions for a solution will be gratefully received.
Message 2 of 5
decypher01
Novice

I think you need to add the Virtual Mac Address of your extenders.

If you don't mind.

What is the MAC Address of your Extender? (That is on the label)
What is the MAC Address that shows in Attached Devices in your router?
Message 3 of 5
Synyster
Aspirant

Enable the ACL on the router first. Then configure the extender. When the connection fails, the extender will display a page stating that it did not connect and to make sure ACL is off, but under that, it will list about 2-3 MAC addresses. Make sure those are added to the router. In my experience, it displayed an additional MAC address that was not on the label sticker.
Message 4 of 5
Stryker0129
Aspirant

Hi RaleighJ,

The reason why the connectivity between the router and the extender will not work after enabling ACL is because of MAC addresses that you provided on the ACL table. Please take note that the Booster/Extender will create a virtual MAC Address for itself and each device connected to it. This would mean that you will need to add these Virtual MAC address on the ACL table to make extender working. Please add both MAC Address from PDF which begins with 02:0F:B5 and the Booster's MAC begins with 44:94:FC. To create a virtual MAC address for the device connected to the booster, kindly check the physical address and change the first 6 digit with 02:0F:B5. This should be added to the ACL table to make those devices working.
Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7