× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

MAC address changes when connected to WN1000RP

DoctorBrown
Apprentice

MAC address changes when connected to WN1000RP

This is a strange one for me. I have a WNDR3700 router, and the WN1000RP extender. Everything seemed to be working as expected. I have an iPAD2 and Droid X that can connect correctly to both the router and the extender.

Then I decide to run some tests where I configure Services blocking on the router. Prior to this I had no reason to look at the router's Attached Devices list.

I setup the following:
1. Block Services: HTTP, HTTPS, for IP Address range 192.168.0.30 -192168.0.31 (Wanted to block two devices.)
2. Setup a schedule for the block.
3. Setup two DHCP address reservations for the two devices.

I am blocking the two devices, an iPad2 and Droid X. When connected to the router, the devices are connecting using the MAC address assigned to the devices and visible in the device's Settings menus. But when I connect via the Extender, the Attached Devices list on the router shows the devices connecting with a different MAC address, and therefore they do not get the Reserved IP addresses.

For example the MAC address for the iPad is:
A4:67:06: D3:3C:5E
But when connected via the extender it is:
02:0F:B5: D3:3C:5E
The MAC of the extender is:
28:C6:8E: 01:1D:41

It appears the extender is reassigning the Vendor portion of the MAC, but not to it's own Vendor ID.

Anyone know what's happening and why? How would prevent this from occurring? The Droid gets the same vendor ID at the iPad when connecting via the extender.

Then I set an IP range for the blockino
Message 1 of 4
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: MAC address changes when connected to WN1000RP

There is already reported on mac address behind the extender.
Message 2 of 4
DoctorBrown
Apprentice

jmizoguchi wrote:
There is already reported on mac address behind the extender.

I don't understand what you are saying. Could you elaborate?
Message 3 of 4
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Read other thread.. This is not new thing
Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7