× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

MK62 (mr60) WAN speed not great

Harvinder
Tutor

MK62 (mr60) WAN speed not great

Hello,

I've attached the MR60 WAN port to the modem/router (homehub3000 in Canada) on a Fibe 1GB line. It's placed in the "advanced DMZ" which give the MR60 a public IP. This is great, however, the speedtest doesn't exceed 600mbps. I tried a different router which got 900MB+.

Is this an issue with the router? Should it get better speeds?

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: MK62 (mr60) WAN speed not great

the built in speedtest isn't accurate at speeds >500mbps because it rarely picks the fastest server. 

Test with a hardwired in pc/laptop and if you use the speedtest site, test different servers on there as not all can hit gigabit speeds. 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Test it with qos, access control, parental controls, and traffic monitoring all disabled. If there were enabled,disable them and reboot the router. 

Message 2 of 7
Harvinder
Tutor

Thanks for the suggestion. The only thing I had turned on was Traffic Meter. I turned it off but still got 600mbps download.

The mesh router I compared it with was TPLink M5, which had a slower wifi speed but higher ethernet speed. 

Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

how are you testing speed? 

Are you using the built in nighthawk speedtest? or what device and testing suite are you using?

Message 4 of 7
Harvinder
Tutor

yes, sorry, should have mentioned that. The built-in speedtest tool.

Message 5 of 7
plemans
Guru

the built in speedtest isn't accurate at speeds >500mbps because it rarely picks the fastest server. 

Test with a hardwired in pc/laptop and if you use the speedtest site, test different servers on there as not all can hit gigabit speeds. 

Message 6 of 7
Harvinder
Tutor

Ok tried. I have it configured from MR60 -- 8 port GB switch -- MacBook.  It got 670mbps. I guess I'll settle for that since not many real-world use cases would warrant those speeds anyway. 

Your help was appreciated!

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7