× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: MR60 can't obtain IP after SSID name change

DGordonB
Guide

MR60 can't obtain IP after SSID name change

System config.

• comcast internet,
  • netgear cm600 modem,
  • nighthawk MK63 mesh router.

we had a nighthawk MK63 for ~18 months. it failed to connect to the internet a couple weeks ago. a quick test showed that there was internet coming from the modem, so bought a new nighthawk MK63.

it worked for a few days and then lost connectivity with the same symptoms as the previous system. the devices can start the connection, successfully get through the pw, but then fails to obtain an IP address.

I factory reset the modem and the routers and satellites and they work fine. ( SSID and password are the factory settings at this point).

When I change the SSID/PW to my desired naming, the router shows an amber LED and devices get the failure to obtain IP. (I tried restarting the devices in the recommended order and it still got the amber LED)

Nothing fancy in the SSID or pw.  The desired SSID is BrownOLT and the pw starts with a capital letter and is followed by 10 numbers.

I'm able to reproduce this with my older and newer routers. 

Suggestions?

Model: CM600|CM600 High Speed Cable Modem
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
DGordonB
Guide

Got this from support and it worked for me. I also rebooted the modem and router after changing the settings.

Good day! Try to change the wireless channel of the router. Below are the steps.

1. Launch a web browser from a computer or mobile device that is connected to your mesh network.
2. Enter http://www.routerlogin.net. A login window opens.
3. Enter the router admin user name and password. The user name is admin. The password is the one that you specified the first time that you logged in. The user name and password are case-sensitive.
The BASIC Home page displays.
4. Select Wireless. The Wireless Settings page displays
5. Change the channel of the 2.4 GHz into 6. Then for the 5 GHz change it into 161 or 48.
6. Apply the changes.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 11

All Replies
dharris3
Tutor

I am having the exact same issue. It worked fine for ~7 months but after losing power at the house one day, it wouldnt allow devices to reconnect. I reset it to the default netgear72 ssid and pw and it will work fine. After going through the setup process and changing to the new SSID, it appears to work and broadcasts the new name but no devices are allowed to make a connection. The router and satellites all show blue lights like they have internet and are working. Reset again to the default and it will work fine. I updated to the latest firmware and it made no difference. Still unable to connect devices until I reset everything back to the default settings. Very frustrating. Please help! My device is less that 12 months old....

Message 2 of 11
dharris3
Tutor

To clarify, I have the MK63 setup. MR60 + 2 MS60 satellites all running the latest and greatest firmware.

Message 3 of 11
plembo
Initiate

Exactly the same problem. Just had a power failure and had to reset the MR60 to factory defaults. Runs fine with the default SSID but if I change the SSID, no devices can connect... help!!!

Message 4 of 11
DGordonB
Guide

FYI, support responded with first level detail requests and suggestions.  Will reply with updates. 

Two levels of friction here.  (will share with their follow up survey)

1. two of the three questions were already included in the report. (and this post)  Who is the ISP and what is the modem. 
  2. Where did you purchase the unit.  (answer is Costco for both, but don't know how that matters when it's under warranty.) 

Recommendation (already tried before contacting them) is . . .
Regarding your concern, try to disconnect or forget the wifi name of the router on your wireless devices. After that, reconnect them back and use your new wifi settings. Then perform a power cycle. Unplug both the power cable of the modem, the router and the satellites for 2 minutes. After 2 minutes plugin first the power cable of the modem and wait for it to power back on before plugging in the power cable of the router then the satellites.

Message 5 of 11
dharris3
Tutor

I have taken all of those steps myself and the results were the same as described above.

I also purchased my unit from Costco and am running what sounds like a similar or possibly identical setup. Very curious indeed... Possibly an issue triggered by the latest firmware update? I havent tried to downgrade the firmware, if you even can?

Message 6 of 11
DGordonB
Guide

What version of firmware are you guys running. Ours has V1.1.6.122.
@dharris3
Message 7 of 11
DGordonB
Guide

Got this from support and it worked for me. I also rebooted the modem and router after changing the settings.

Good day! Try to change the wireless channel of the router. Below are the steps.

1. Launch a web browser from a computer or mobile device that is connected to your mesh network.
2. Enter http://www.routerlogin.net. A login window opens.
3. Enter the router admin user name and password. The user name is admin. The password is the one that you specified the first time that you logged in. The user name and password are case-sensitive.
The BASIC Home page displays.
4. Select Wireless. The Wireless Settings page displays
5. Change the channel of the 2.4 GHz into 6. Then for the 5 GHz change it into 161 or 48.
6. Apply the changes.
Message 8 of 11
btaroli
Prodigy

Did anyone in the this thread find a proper solution or workaround for this? My brother-in-law expereiced this EXACT problem on his MR60+MS60 satellites. It's maddening. Even when he attempted a web-based factory reset -- where it lets you choose SSID and password during initial setup, it still failed. And yet if he allows it the default SSID it works great.

He is also on the very latest firmware. I'm wondering if the downgrade suggestion is apt, but I don't see that anyone reported success. Can anyone update based on their experiences or result?

For now, he's trying to find an older WAP they used, it avoid this behavior. Is netgear just dropping the ball on QA?

Message 9 of 11
DGordonB
Guide

Proper solution? No.
Work around. Perhaps.
We had a power blip the other day and the same problem occurred. Long story short, the workaround for me was to factory reset the router. And then go directly to the routerlogin.net
settings and set the SSID, pw and channels. Apply changes.
Turn off the router, Power cycle the modem, turn on the router.
Good fortune.
Message 10 of 11
MR60_junk
Aspirant

Just wasted my whole night with THIS PILE OF **bleep** MR60

Thanks to this post i'm back online:

Can't wait to return it to costco tomorrow idiot engineers that designed this POS

Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7