× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: MR60 not seeing firmware update

Gewgaws
Aspirant

MR60 not seeing firmware update

I have an MR60 with two MS60 sattelites (purchased from Costco).  After initial setup I was able to update the firmware through the Nighthawk app to v1.0.6.102 (the same version firmware is running on both the router and the sattelites).  Everything has been running great.

On 27-Jun I received the email alerting me to an urgent firmware update. When I visit the product page at https://www.netgear.com/support/product/mr60.aspx and click "Firmware and Software Downloads", I see that there's a "MR60 (Mesh Router) Firmware Version 1.0.6.110" and a "MR60 (Mesh Router) Firmware Version 1.0.6.112 - Hot Fix" available.

When I open the Nighthawk app on my [Android] phone (it is version 2.10.5.1633), from the app's main page, when I ...

• tap the image of the router with the swirly animation (it shows Network Map),
  • tap the image of the MR60 router,
  • tap "Details",
  • tap the 3-dot menu at the upper-right,
  • tap "Check For Updates"

...the app says "Checking for New Firmware" at the top and "Wait about 5 minutes..." at the bottom.  After a pause (less than a minute) it says "Your Firmware is up to date" and gives me the big "OK" button.

Also from the main page, when I ...

• tap the "cloud" (?) button at the upper left,
  • tap SETTINGS,
  • tap Router Settings,
  • tap the blue "CHECK FOR UPDATES" button,

...I get the same screen as above (the app says "Checking for New Firmware" at the top and "Wait about 5 minutes..." at the bottom).  After a pause (less than a minute) it says "Your Firmware is up to date" and gives me the big "OK" button.

I've confirmed that I'm connected to the MR60's SSID, but when I visit http://routerlogin.net I am redirected to the https://www.netgear.com/home/services/routerlogincom/ page.

My MR60 is connected to my FiOS gateway router, if that makes a difference.  I can see the MR60's IP address on the FiOS router's admin page, but if I try to connect to it directly I am timed out.

Any ideas?

Message 1 of 16
Gewgaws
Aspirant

Bump.  

Anybody have any suggestions?

Message 2 of 16
Gewgaws
Aspirant

So either nobody reads forums posts, or nobody cares, or I'm the only one with this problem.  Or some combination of those.

I tried factory resetting, reconfiguring for my network from scratch.  Didn't help.  But I was ultimately able to update:

I had to use a laptop connected to the MR60's network.  I manually downloaded all four firmware updates to the laptop.  Was able to get to routerlogin.net from the laptop (would not work from a browser on my phone).  Yes, the phone was connected to the MR60's network.

Click the "Advanced" tab, Administration, Router Update.

"Manual Update" in the right-hand pane.  Click the Status or IP Address of one of the MS60 satellites shown in the table, new tab opens for administration of that device.  Browse to the appropriate firmware file downloaded earlier.  Upload.  Close tab when done.

Repeat for second satellite.

Browse to the appropriate firmware for the MR60.  Upload.  etc.

Repeat all three steps for next "hotfix" firmware.

Firmware updated.  

Message 3 of 16
redcdale
Tutor

I just got this router a couple of days ago, and I just went through the same process (before I saw your post). However, the latest version on the Netgear site is now 1.1.6.122. I updated my router and satellites to that version, and now when I check for online updates through the router's web interface, it says "service unreachable". I'm guessing it has something to do with the fact that it's running a newer version than it thinks is available through the online update system? So I guess now I'm stuck manually checking the website for updates, and manually uploading the firmware to the router. Hmmmm... Seems less than ideal....

Message 4 of 16
olympos1625
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi redcdale,

Welcome to NETGEAR Community!

Thank you for reaching out. We are sorry for not being able to get back to you immediately. If you have the latest firmware, it should say on the Firmware Update or Router update page( under Advanced), " No new firmware is available." Did you try using a different web browser or different device?

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you need further assistance. 

Regards,

Oliver

Community Team

Message 5 of 16
dirghor
Aspirant

Hi @olympos1625 ,

I observe the same issue as @redcdale. After manual update to V1.1.6.122_2.0.58 I'm getting "Service unreachable" when I'm checking if there is new firmware available. I tried Google Chrome and Firefox. Below is the screenshot showing the issue.

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2021-12-09 at 14.37.08.png

Message 6 of 16
olympos1625
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi dirghor,

Thank you for reaching out. We are sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you. May we know when did you notice the issue? Does it happen after the recent firmware update? Did you do any troubleshooting on your end?

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you need further assistance. 

Regards,

Oliver

Community Team

Message 7 of 16
dirghor
Aspirant

Hi @olympos1625 ,

When FW 1.0.6.116 was installed, checking for new version was returning that there is no new FW version available. On the other hand there was 1.1.6.122 available, so I downloaded it and updated my devices manually. Immediately after the update to 1.1.6.122 the issue apeared.

Also, I observe that WiFi connection started frequently dropping after the update.

Thanks!

Message 8 of 16
olympos1625
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi dirghor,

Thank you for the information. For now, use the previous firmware version 1.0.6.116. We would like to endorse you to NETGEAR Level 2 support team for callback to gather details so we can forward this to the Engineering team. Please DM the following information:

Name:

Email:

Phone:

Preferred schedule (atleast 2 days ahead)

Timezone:

Device S/N:

Alternatively, if you wish to be contacted via email only then kindly include your preferred email address.

I am looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Oliver

Community Team

Message 9 of 16
Gewgaws
Aspirant

OP checking in here.  Since updating to v1.0.6.112 about a month ago I haven't been seeing any other updates.  I recently replaced my phone (unrelated to all this, but from one Android device to a newer one), installed the Nighthawk app, and now I occasionally see a red "Update" box on the app's home screen.  The app also ALWAYS says that it's connected to the router via Anywhere Access even though the phone is clearly connected to the router's SSID.

I have the red "update" box now and I just tapped it.  The app sat for about a minute then said that "There was a problem checking the firmware."  I retried and it tells me that there is an update to v1.0.6.116 available, not the latest ...122 I see when I  visit https://www.netgear.com/support/product/mr60.aspx#download.

I am hesitant to perform the update.  Has anybody had a similar experience?

Message 10 of 16
MoePa
Guide

I have the same issue of it not finding the update and I am stuck at 116.

i also had the the same issue before I had updated to 116. 116 update occurred months after it was released on their website. 

Message 11 of 16
MoePa
Guide

5704191B-A5B4-4D42-B7DE-4D8248F23F65.jpeg

Message 12 of 16
MoePa
Guide

E88ADAD4-2891-4A72-9863-7109AD08E6B5.jpegsee pic

Message 13 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

You can manually update FW:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Mesh-System/New-MK6x-series-MR60-MS60-FW-v1-1-6-122-Relea...

Update the MS first then MR lastly. 

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the NightHawk MESH products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with NH MESH products and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Mesh-System/bd-p/en-home-nighthawk-mesh-system

Please use this link to the main forum product list to review and choose where to make your posts. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Forum/ct-p/en-netgear

Thank you.

@MoePa wrote:

I have the same issue of it not finding the update and I am stuck at 116.

i also had the the same issue before I had updated to 116. 116 update occurred months after it was released on their website. 

Message 14 of 16
MoePa
Guide

Thanks was able to manually update.

Message 15 of 16
EternalStudent
Apprentice

My device never shows the update as available.  I did briefly install the update and had some issues I posted here about.  Immediately they told me to downgrade.

Which was a bummer, as that updated firmware added an Advanced setting to enable MU-MIMO (Multi User - Multi In Multi Out...the original MIMO only worked for one client device per router).

Oh, how I wish these had open source firmware we could hack on...  Guess that'll have to inform my next buy decision.

Message 16 of 16
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7