× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Mesh Extend the signal of a Nighthawk R7000P with ethernet cable

pedroenes
Aspirant

Mesh Extend the signal of a Nighthawk R7000P with ethernet cable

Hi !

I Have a Nighthawk R7000P in one side of my house and a old Linksys (with WRT) on other side extending my Wifi Network.
  - Both are direct connect with a Ethernet Cable. 
  - The DHCP and DNS services are managed by a Raspberry Pie connected to the Nighthawk (that connects to the telco LAN switch)

I want to replace the old Linksys by a Nighthawk equipment that can Mesh the Wifi network (managing better the global wifi and stability of it), but I want to use the existing Ethernet direct cable to optimize the traffic in between both routers, not depending of the Wifi for that type of traffic.

What model do you suggest? AC1900? (at this momment I'm not thinking on Wifi 6...)

Thanks for the help!!!

Kind regards

PE

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 5
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @pedroenes, you can check the link below for our extenders. All will work with your existing setup. We recommend something with a similar bandwidth capacity or higher for your R7000P.

https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-range-extenders/

Dexter

Message 2 of 5
pedroenes
Aspirant

Thank you Dexter.

Kind regards

Pedro

Message 3 of 5
pedroenes
Aspirant

Just to be clear.

As I understood on the documentation, if I want to interconnect the R7000P with the AC1900 Extender with a Ethernet cable, I need to set up the extender as Access Point. In that case can I setup the Wifi with the same SSID? (as I do actually with a old router...)

To be a Wireless Extender the interconnection should be done through Wireless WPS.

Is it correct?

Thanks!

PE

Message 4 of 5
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @pedroenes, yes, you are correct. You can hard wire the extender and have it setup in AP mode. As for extender mode, you can set it up via WPS or go through the setup wizard as well.

Dexter

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7