× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Mesh Speed

KJSS
Aspirant

Mesh Speed

Got the mesh nighthawk system from costco for 250 dollars with 2 satellite and 1 router.  Works great.  I have 4200 sq feet house.  I am getting 200 mb second internet with comcast xfinity.  I get about 240mb right next to the router in the basement.  And about 140 rest of the house anexcept 90 mb in my garage and parents bedroom.  And 60mb in my bedroom and guestroom.  I have a motorola z3 play.  And my parents iphone xs max gets a little more.  Maybe better wifi chip.  Or so I thought.  From the netgear nighthawk app spped test section it shows 240mb while standing next to one of the satellites.  But ever other app including Speedtest by ookla, fast and even xfinity app show about 150mb on my phone while standing next to one of the satellites.

So which is accurate?  Netgear or ever other app.  Trying to decide if I should keep or return to costco.

Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
KJSS
Aspirant

Re: Mesh Speed

Ok returned this **bleep** to costco. Went to bestbuy and got the velop ax4200 triband for 430 plus tax normally 500. much better covers whole house and even deck. So please close this thread.

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 14

All Replies
plemans
Guru

When you test off the nighthawk app, it hosts the speedtest on the primary router, not on your actual device. So the speeds its displaying are the speeds its getting from the modem/gateway, not the speed where you're actually at. 

what mesh system did you get? There's a difference in performance from the dual band system to the triband system (unless the dual band is setup using a wired backhaul). 

Message 2 of 14
KJSS
Aspirant
plemans
Guru

Thats a base model dual band mesh system. Its not going to have peak performance but it is going to provide good coverage with seamless roaming. You're also going to notice faster speeds when connecting to the router versus to the satellites because its a dual band system and not a triband. 

If you have the option to hardwire the satellites, they'll be faster

Message 4 of 14
KJSS
Aspirant

I will try wire again. If not I will return to costco and get the orbi triband ax or a linksys velop. Or tp link decos are cheap too. My old router by tplink was great. But never had a deco. I want AX so no google for now.
Message 5 of 14
plemans
Guru

Even with the other mesh systems, if you're needing fast speeds, make sure its triband. The dual bands don't have the dedicated backhaul and suffer speed/latency wise because of it. 

Message 6 of 14
KJSS
Aspirant

I hardwired one of the satellites with ethernet. Speedtest ookla app still shows 91.4 mb. We are paying for 200 mb from comcast. So only getting half. Our contract expires April 17th this year. So might upgrade. But not sure if we will get 1gb or not. They have a 600mb option also so maybe that not sure. Plus if we get 600 mb or 1000 mb I will need a new modem because my old one is only 300 mb.
Message 7 of 14
plemans
Guru

when you're speedtesting, is the phone connected to that satellite and is it on 2.4ghz or 5ghz?

Message 8 of 14
KJSS
Aspirant

since its mesh its all one name. No separate 2.4 and 5 ghz. And how do you know if you are accessing the satellite and not the router?
Message 9 of 14
KJSS
Aspirant

Its weird I went to nighthawk app. Went to device manager. My parents iphones xs max show connected to 5ghz. But my motorola z3 play shows no where in the list or network map on either satellite or the router.
Message 10 of 14
KJSS
Aspirant

I found it. Its in 5ghz. Its just not labled specifically. It just says N/A. But its same ip address so it must be my phone.
Message 11 of 14
KJSS
Aspirant

Ok I stood next to the satellite that is wired and it sill says connected to the other satellite.
Message 12 of 14
KJSS
Aspirant

As a test I found a way to hardwire both satellites. My phone connects to the one closest to me 3 feet away. It show in the network map both hardwired. But its worse now. 90mb per second. Before it was 150mb on 5g.
Message 13 of 14
KJSS
Aspirant

Ok returned this **bleep** to costco. Went to bestbuy and got the velop ax4200 triband for 430 plus tax normally 500. much better covers whole house and even deck. So please close this thread.
Message 14 of 14
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7