× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Mesh, question - EAX80 and EX7300

ddregs1
Guide

Mesh, question - EAX80 and EX7300

Hi all
10 days ago I had to change position of my RAX80 router due to a change of internet connection, and took it under the roof where the antenna cable descends.
My house is a 3 floor one. I am using an EAX80 on the main floor, and 2.4 / 5GHz are correctly working even if the signal is not so strong (about 400 Mbps for 2.4GHz and about 1500Mbps for the 5GHz network). On the lowest floor the 5GHz signal is not present. I tried attaching the EX7300 there (had it before buying the EAX80) but it is not getting any 5GHz signal. I could attach a network cable there and create a new wlan , but I would love having a mesh network.
My question is: as these extenders connect reliably only to the router, is this kind of configuration over as it is not expandable anymore? Will a solution with Orbi satellites work better (I don’t know if they can route signal from satellite to satellite) or will it suffer from the same problem?
Thanks for your advices / suggestions
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

You can hardwire in an extender and use it in access point mode. Access point mode disabled smart roaming features so devices will be "sticky" and not roam as efficient as extender mode. But it'll be much faster hardwired in. 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Extenders and mesh networks still need a signal to work off. So if you're putting an extender where there isn't any signal, it won't work. 

Usually you put them halfway in between the router and where there isn't a signal. So they have a good/decent signal to pickup and rebroadcast. 

If the issue is in the basement, you might find that by moving the router, the line of sight from the router to the basement extender is now blocked by concrete/ground. Those are great at blocking wifi signal. Sometimes that short of a move can cause quite a bit of blockage. So it might be worth moving it back if you can. 

I also usually advise that if you're needing more than 1 extender its worth moving to a mesh system like orbi (the tribands) for stability/speeds. But you've already got your setup so I'd work on getting it running properly. 

Message 2 of 7
ddregs1
Guide

Thanks a lot.
Unfortunately, wherever I tried to install the EX7300 in the basement it wasn’t able to get a 5GHz signal so I installed it next to the managed switch in order to create a new WLAN with a different SSID, where I manually connect and disconnect (as my iPhone isn’t so smart when it comes to switching from a floor with no mesh to another with a mesh network, as it still seems to find a stronger signal coming from the basement).
Will look into a full mesh solution later on next year when WiFi 7 will be rolled out if prices are affordable.
Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

You could look at picking up a powerline solution to hardwire the extender in in your basement. That might (*) get a hardwired connection down there. Or even a moca adapter (ethernet over coax)

Message 4 of 7
ddregs1
Guide

The network cable is already there (in the basement I mean), as I put ethernet cables in all the house back in 2016.

Is it possible for the EX7300 to work as a mesh extender using that cable instead of looking for wireless signal to extend?

I put it to work now as an access point by selecting that switch position. Didn't even try to connect the ethernet cable when it was set up as an extender. Thanks for your kind help.

Message 5 of 7
plemans
Guru

You can hardwire in an extender and use it in access point mode. Access point mode disabled smart roaming features so devices will be "sticky" and not roam as efficient as extender mode. But it'll be much faster hardwired in. 

Message 6 of 7
ddregs1
Guide

Thanks mate. So far, it's the final solution I took and will use it as far as needed.

A full mesh will be better, but as new devices with WiFi 7 are slowly making their debut, I will wait for price reductions and will move forward most probably next year.

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7