× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Mesh routing

Swiftrunbob
Tutor

Mesh routing

Hi
I’m considering buying the new Nighthawk AX12 for my main router.
I’d like to add a wired mesh router in my bedroom, the CAT cable is already there.
What Netgear model router would I use in my bedroom as the mesh router?
Also, it’s my understanding if I setup the mesh router in my bedroom with the same SSID as the AX12, this will insure for a seamless connection when moving from say the front of my house into the bedroom.
Any information with regards to the AX12 and mesh routing, setup would be appreciated.

Thanking you in advance
Bob
Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
schumaku
Guru

Re: Mesh routing

Trying to understand marketing is hard for Netgear's fellow customers. No, I don't blame you ....

I understand you intend to buy an AX12, and have network cable in place to the bedroom.

For the bedroom, all you need is a wireless access point. No "mesh", no "router", no "mesh router" ...

Do you _need_ a router, or does your ISP supply you with a reasonable router for handling NAT, DHCP, ...? Most ISP do....

As you need more than one AP, I suggest to have an eye on Netgear Insight  - think about using the ISP router (wireless disabled), add a small PoE switch like a GC110P or the brand new GC108P/GC108PP, some WAC ... depending on the client needs. Granted: No Wi-Fi 6 yet - but you can always easily add or replace WAC virtually any time. And the 802.11ax WAC for Insight should not be far away. And should you want to add WiFi in the garage, the barn ... just add a network cable, add a WAC, and with a few clicks, your network is growing.

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7