× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Message "Unable to connect to this network"

teagueqc
Tutor

Message "Unable to connect to this network"

Hello,

I am slowly losing the will to live. I have been trying to get this device back into use. I bought it a couple of years ago, used it for a while before unplugging it. Today, I decided to resurrect it and use it with a couple of new laptops. I had no trouble connecting to the router. Eventually, after about eight attempts, using both the network key and pressing the WPS button on the router, I managed to connect one of the laptops to the extended network. However, I kept getting the same error message: "Unable to connect to this router", despite having most definitely correctly entered the correct key. Unfortunately, I simply cannot connect the second laptop, which is from the same model range as the first. I've tried everything, including a factory reset. I have spent more than two hours trying to get this supposedly simple-to-use device to work. Can some kind person please help?

Model: EX2700|N300 WiFi Range Extender Essentials Edition
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Message "Unable to connect to this network"

So wps doesn't always work properly because manufacturer's code it differently. so it can sometimes connect the extender to the router but then devices can't connect to the extender. Or vice versa.

so by factory resetting, you're getting back to stock. Netgear has an installation wizard you can use to install extenders for situations like this. Here's a video walk through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJVklshxBMk

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8

All Replies
plemans
Guru

When you say you tried everything, did you try setting it up via the install wizard and not via wps? Wps doesn't always work the best. 

Message 2 of 8
teagueqc
Tutor

Is the wizard the bit about going to the website? If so, yes, I have tried it, but it doesn't resemble what the user manual leads you to expect. Instead of a login request, you simply get a message telling you you're not connected to your netgear extension. Which is, of course, the very problem I'm trying to sort out. And no, I'm afraid I don't have an ethernet cable!

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

@teagueqc wrote:

Is the wizard the bit about going to the website? If so, yes, I have tried it, but it doesn't resemble what the user manual leads you to expect. Instead of a login request, you simply get a message telling you you're not connected to your netgear extension. Which is, of course, the very problem I'm trying to sort out. And no, I'm afraid I don't have an ethernet cable!

Factory reset the extender. push and hold reset for 7-15 seconds while powered on. This will set the extender back to factory. Then connection your device to the extender via wireless. IF you're on the extenders wireless, it won't be connected back to the router. 

Message 4 of 8
teagueqc
Tutor

Thank you. I really appreciate the trouble you're going to in order to help me. May I ask one question, please? I'm not sure I understand the last two sentences of your most recent message: "Then connection your device to the extender via wireless. IF you're on the extenders wireless, it won't be connected back to the router." Do you mean I need to connect the device to the extender before connecting the extender to the router? I understand how to do the factory reset, and have already tried it. Maybe it's what I do next that I'm getting wrong. Here's exactly what I've been doing: (i) factory reset while the extender is plugged in; (2) leave the extender plugged in and wait for it to reboot; (3) when the lights are green, press the WPS button to make the WPS light flash; (4) while the WPS light on the extender is flashing, press the WPS button on the router for a second or two, then release it; (5) wait for all relevant lights on the extender and router to show green, then go to my device (laptop) and click on the internet icon to display available networks; (6) among the networks I can see my router's network name and also my router's network name with _EXT after it; (7) I click on the extender network, click on "connect" and am then asked to enter the network key (this I assume to be the network password, not the admin key, although I've tried both!). I then get a message saying "Unable to connect to this network". When I first try to connect, in addition to being asked to enter the network key, I also get a message saying that if I want to I can connect by pressing "the button on the router". Unhelpfully, it doesn't specify which button, but I assume it must mean the WPS one. I've tried that, too, but nothing happens - I don't even get an error message. I'm sorry about all this detail, but I thought it might help you to identify where I'm going wrong if you knew exactly what I've been doing. Thank you again for your efforts to help this utterly stupid, non-technical person!

Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

So wps doesn't always work properly because manufacturer's code it differently. so it can sometimes connect the extender to the router but then devices can't connect to the extender. Or vice versa.

so by factory resetting, you're getting back to stock. Netgear has an installation wizard you can use to install extenders for situations like this. Here's a video walk through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJVklshxBMk

Message 6 of 8
teagueqc
Tutor

Thank you very much! It has worked. I followed the instructions and have established a connection. It is barely any better than the unextended signal, but that's because I'm using the device in an outbuilding that is at the limit of the router's range. However, I've ordered a more up-to-date Nighthawk device, which I hope may make a bigger difference. Anyway, thank you again for all your help. You have successfully enabled me to overcome the frustrating problem of establishing a connection with the extender. Can't ask for more than that!

Message 7 of 8
plemans
Guru

glad to hear you got it working as it should!

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7