× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Model EX6110 need to shutdown when not in use?

jpdishaw
Aspirant

Model EX6110 need to shutdown when not in use?

Just two quick and probably stupid questions:

- Is there any need to shut the range extender off when not in use?  It seems to get quite warm. 

- I live in arural area and experience frequent power outages.  Will I need to reconfigure after a poweroutage, or will everything be good to go once power is restored?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Model: EX6110|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Model EX6110 need to shutdown when not in use?

1. No, you don't need to shut if off. 

2. Mine have all retained their settings through power failures. You do see the occasional person on here report having to reinstall after a power failure but I've never needed to. 

As a side note, If you're getting requent power failures, a whole home surge protector or even a few on the expensive electronics are worth the $. I've had 1 router go bad after a power failure and losing a several hundred dollar router quickly had me buying a backup power supply for my expensive devices. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

1. No, you don't need to shut if off. 

2. Mine have all retained their settings through power failures. You do see the occasional person on here report having to reinstall after a power failure but I've never needed to. 

As a side note, If you're getting requent power failures, a whole home surge protector or even a few on the expensive electronics are worth the $. I've had 1 router go bad after a power failure and losing a several hundred dollar router quickly had me buying a backup power supply for my expensive devices. 

Message 2 of 5
jpdishaw
Aspirant

Plemans,

Thank you for the prompt and very helpful response. I do have individual surge protectors on my electronic equipment and some small gasoline generators that I can use for keeping the well pump running, refrigerator and freezer going, and one for my main barn so I have compressed air, lights, and etc. in my shop and can run the engine block heater of my diesel tractor in case snow removal is needed.  But the storage of large amounts of diesel or gasoline needed to keep a whole house generator system going for any length of time would not be practical.

Thanks again,

Jpdishaw

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

Sorry, didn't mean a whole home generator, just surge protector. They make whole home surge protectors. Might be worth picking up something like that if you're power is that unreliable.

The other option was just the UPS for the sensitive devices. Most larger devices like appliances, tolerate power surges without issues. Its the sensitive thinks like computers, router, tv, etc that can struggle. I've got a couple UPS's for my server, router, and desktop. there's a bit of $ in them and a cheap $40 UPS was a worthy investment to protect them. 

Message 4 of 5
jpdishaw
Aspirant

Gotcha and excellent suggestion.  I will definitely look into the whole house surge protection.  It would likely be more reliable than the individual ones I am using.  Thanks again!

Jim

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7