× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Model Ex3700, DEVICE will not turn on

bkelly1369
Tutor

Model Ex3700, DEVICE will not turn on

Windows 10, Synology RT2600AC wireless router.  Multiple devices in the network and everything else is working.

I used the WPS button on this device and the router to get it connected.  The power light goes green and after a while so does the NETWORK light.

The DEVICE light will not turn on at all.  I have connected it to this desktop computer with an ethernet cable, to the router with a cable, and to the device for which this was purchased with a cable.  It will not turn on at all.

When connected to the router, with cable, the router recognizes that the cable has been plugged in, but the connection light on the router is yellow/amber and does not change to green.

The first EX3700 has already been returned for the same problem.

Does anyone know something I might try to get this working?

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
bkelly1369
Tutor

Re: Model Ex3700, DEVICE will not turn on

Regarding the lights, the manual states that the lights indicate quality of connection, not speed.

The manual, as I read it, also clearly states that the DEVICE light should be on when a device is connected.

That has now been shown to be incorrect.  When my laptop connects directly to the EX3700 via WIFI, the DEVICE light is lit, but not when an Ethernet cable is connected.  A good three hours was spent on hold for about fifteen minutes with the Netgear representative.  He did not know how to respond when I mentioned that the light should be lit.  Then he put me on hold again to check with his resources and after another 30 minutes I gave up and ended the call.

The device is now in the garage with the solar panel monitor connected to an Ethernet switch, then to the EX3700.  The data from the monitor is getting to the manfacturer's web and I can see how the system is performing.  

So, the panel is doing what is expected and I am OK with it.

Thank you for your patience.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
plemans
Guru

If you're hardwiring the ex3700 into your router with a cable, it needs to be setup in access point mode and not setup using wps. 

So install it using the installation assistant from the manual and go through the access point mode setup

Message 2 of 8
bkelly1369
Tutor

The initial setup was done without the cable.  When the remote device was plugged in, the DEVICE light did not light.  I tried two additional cables and cannot get the light on.

The end use is out in the garage connected to the solar panel monitor hardware.  It was working with a D-LINK wireless access point, but that one failed and the price of that unit has gone up by about three to four times what it was when purchased.  Now I am trying to get this working.

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

what router are you connecting it to? 

have you tried factory resetting it and setting it up using the installation assistant?

Message 4 of 8
nielsvds
Luminary

The color that you are seeing is just referring to what sync speed is detected that both your connected device supports and on the switch on your router. Amber means 1000 Mbps (1Gbps) and green means 100Mbps. Try to get as close to your router, normally the device LED should be lid when you are using it as extender and not connected with a cable to your router.

Message 5 of 8
bkelly1369
Tutor

The manual says that green light means best connection, amber is good, red means poor.  

I hard reset it and configured again and it does not recoginze when an ethernet cable is plugged in.

Time to call Netgear.

Message 6 of 8
nielsvds
Luminary

I was pointing to the color of the LED's when you connected it to your router that is related to the speed.
So even when you connect the Ex3700 directly (network cable)  to your router you don't see any lights on the ethernet port of your router and also on the EX3700? When you do this the router led should be green and also when you connect a device to it the device link should also be green. 

Message 7 of 8
bkelly1369
Tutor

Regarding the lights, the manual states that the lights indicate quality of connection, not speed.

The manual, as I read it, also clearly states that the DEVICE light should be on when a device is connected.

That has now been shown to be incorrect.  When my laptop connects directly to the EX3700 via WIFI, the DEVICE light is lit, but not when an Ethernet cable is connected.  A good three hours was spent on hold for about fifteen minutes with the Netgear representative.  He did not know how to respond when I mentioned that the light should be lit.  Then he put me on hold again to check with his resources and after another 30 minutes I gave up and ended the call.

The device is now in the garage with the solar panel monitor connected to an Ethernet switch, then to the EX3700.  The data from the monitor is getting to the manfacturer's web and I can see how the system is performing.  

So, the panel is doing what is expected and I am OK with it.

Thank you for your patience.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7