× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Multiple Extenders

shootnrunner
Follower

Multiple Extenders

Hey all,

Am I able to connect two of the same extenders to the same WiFi network?

model noted above. Not looking to chain them - just two in different parts of house. 

Many thanks,

GS

Model: EX6150v2|AC1200 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

You can. I would make sure to separate out the ssid's though. This helps prevent the extenders from connecting to each other. 

Message 2 of 4

"This helps prevent the extenders from connecting to each other".

A mesh network topology by definition supports connections between all nodes, rather than just a connection to the router (which would make it a star topology).

Are you saying that Netgear Mesh Extenders don't support the basics of mesh topologies?

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

@highwayking wrote:

"This helps prevent the extenders from connecting to each other".

A mesh network topology by definition supports connections between all nodes, rather than just a connection to the router (which would make it a star topology).

Are you saying that Netgear Mesh Extenders don't support the basics of mesh topologies?

Its a mesh extender. meaning it uses the same ssid as the router without a controller. You can't just buy an extender and expect to suddenly have your whole system mesh and to function like a true mesh system. If you want a full mesh system then buy a mesh system like orbi/eero/etc. Otherwise, you're stuck using an extender that merely copies the ssid and lets the device control which signal it connects to. 

they work great with single extender setups. 

I've always recommended that if people need more than 1 extender, they need an actual mesh system and not the extender setup. 

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7