× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Multiple WAC540 in a line

a_wanda
Aspirant

Multiple WAC540 in a line

Hello hello

Am looking into setting up a broad WiFi network that might span a kilometre. I've been looking into the WAC540 to serve the purpose. A lot of the documentation that I have been reading seems to revolve around the extender 540's as within the range of a common "base"; which is slightly different from my scenario.

Is it possible to set up 540's in "a line"? where I have a base that can only reach one of the 540's. that one can reach the base, and one other 540, and then the line continues with each 540 able to reach one 540 closer to the base and one 540 further from the base. This might span across 5 separate 540's, the base also being a 540. Is this possible? Can it be done through the same set-up procedure as all with a common base? How will the strength and speed of the networks down the line be affected?

Model: WAC540|Insight Managed Smart Cloud Tri-band 4x4 Wireless Access Point
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Multiple WAC540 in a line

@a_wanda

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

I'm afraid to inform you that the setup you want to implement is not possible.  You can only configure star topology having 1 WAC540 set as a root and with up to 4 WAC540 set as extenders.  Be sure to have the latest version of the NETGEAR Insight app installed in order to set up a mesh WiFi connection to the root access point.  To learn more, kindly read pages 43-50 of the WAC540 user manual here.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@a_wanda

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

I'm afraid to inform you that the setup you want to implement is not possible.  You can only configure star topology having 1 WAC540 set as a root and with up to 4 WAC540 set as extenders.  Be sure to have the latest version of the NETGEAR Insight app installed in order to set up a mesh WiFi connection to the root access point.  To learn more, kindly read pages 43-50 of the WAC540 user manual here.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 3
a_wanda
Aspirant

Alright. Thank you very much DaneA! The clarity is highly appreciated.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7