× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Multiple WNDR4000 Routers as APs

paknakal
Aspirant

Multiple WNDR4000 Routers as APs

I am looking to set up 1 router with 5 or so access points around the house, all attached back to the router via hardwire. I like the look of the WNDR4000 for the router, but couldn't find a good access point to compliment it. I did find the brand new AP from netgear, WNDAP360, but it is quite pricey. If I could just purchase 6 WNDR4000 devices that would be better.

Question:

Can I run the 4000's as access points only? If so, will moving around the house work properly. In other words will the routers (APs) hand off the connection to each other assuming I use the same SSID and security on all APs?

I have been searching for the answer to these questions for a while with no luck. I have seen people use the 4000 as an AP, but haven't seen confirmation regarding the other question.

Thanks

Message 1 of 9
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: Multiple WNDR4000 Routers as APs

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/965

hook up each one with CAT5 . use same SSID, encryption
Message 2 of 9
paknakal
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick reply. I would assume, I need to hook all of the 4000s acting as "APs" via one of the LAN ports and not the WAN port, correct? That way they will all be on the same subnet with DHCP being done by the main router. Will wifi work as seemlessly as it would if I used actual Access Points? In other words moving around the house will be seemless? Thanks
Message 3 of 9
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

yes,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

that is the diagram show isn't it? 🙂

Will wifi work as seemlessly as it would if I used actual Access Points? In other words moving around the house will be seemless?

you can choose to buy AP is your choice.

otherwise makes no difference
Message 4 of 9
paknakal
Aspirant

Thanks again! Buying 6 now.
Message 5 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

You might rethink this.............since there are only 3 channels (2.4ghz) that do not overlap ......unless your home is extremly large you may end up creating your own interference. 5g I believe has 4 non-overlapping channels. If you happen to be in a room that pics up two AP's using the same channel I would think that would be a problem.
Message 6 of 9
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

7 ap with same SSID uses same channel
Message 7 of 9
paknakal
Aspirant

Thanks for the heads up. The house is actually roughly 10,500 SF and one of the 4000s will be going in the guest house a little ways from the house.

Thanks
Message 8 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

jmizoguchi wrote:
7 ap with same SSID uses same channel

Thanks for heads up! I just tried it with 3 4000's on both bands and it does work. I used inssider while streaming and watched the status change from 300 to 150 I even tried to find a area where all 3 where at same level and it still worked.

Thanks again:eek:
Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7