× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: My EX8000 just has solid 2.4 light and won't reset. seems dead.

vectormanarcade
Aspirant

My EX8000 just has solid 2.4 light and won't reset. seems dead.

My Nighthawk X6S AC3000 EX8000 all of a sudden went dead and just shows the 2.4Ghz light.  Rebooting it does nothing - same light only lit.  Holding in reset button flashes the power light red but doesn't actually reset anything.  Any ideas?

Thanks,

John

Message 1 of 19
plemans
Guru

Push and hold the reset for up to 30 seconds. 

then give it a couple minutes to fully boot. 

Can you hardwire in and access using a wired connection? (disable the wifi on the device you connect to it)

You can also try access it using the default 192.168.1.250 address when hardwired in

Message 2 of 19
leect
Tutor

I'm having this same issue.

First it was disconnecting wifi every few days. 

Now, I held the reset button for one whole minute and after all the lights light up, only the 2.4ghz light stays lit and nothing works

Message 3 of 19
ashdeini
Aspirant

Same issue here. Looking for solutions. 

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 4 of 19
LinaCifu
Aspirant

I have the same problem, did you find a solution for it?

Message 5 of 19
vectormanarcade
Aspirant

I hate to say it, but I don't remember exactly what resolved the issue.  I got so frustrated with the situation that I just googled what is the BEST cable modem, what is the BEST wifi router, and then I bought those for like $400 each.  Then I did complete resets with the little reset button on all of my EX8000s and reprogrammed them all one by one.  Everything is working well now.  I don't know which of these things fixed it, but I suspect that the fact that I had a 4 or 5 year old cable modem and a 3 or 4 year old router were the problem.  Now i have the best of the best and life is good.  I'm now running 5 of these EX8000s blasting into the atmosphere and I have wifi everywhere.  

Message 6 of 19
CptnMorgan
Tutor

Having the same problem. But mine is also making a cyclic ticking noise like a hard disk trying to seek.

For how much this thing cost it was a huge scam and someone should have started a class action lawsuits by now. The millions of dollars netgear made off this and provided zero updates or customer support beyond recommending factory reboots. What a huge and utter public scam of the tech community.

This unit should have been the best extender on the market but it's been nothing but a huge pain since day one. The app can't be used. The firmware should not be attempted to upgrade. Don't ever turn it off cause it might never work again.
Message 7 of 19
CatBlackSK6
Tutor

Same problem. Just the 2.4 light on and unit seems to be dead. Less than two years old. It's never really worked well. Not buying Netgear again.

Message 8 of 19
CptnMorgan
Tutor

Updating again today. Noticed my wifi has no service in my bedroom. Went to check this POS brick and all the lights are flashing white. Rebooting does nothing. What kind of terrible piece of garbage gets bricked if unplugged or power outage or just simply whenever it decides to? I'm throwing this garbage in the trash after I get a smashing video to upload here. F*&$# Netgear. I'm switching to synology.
Message 9 of 19
vectormanarcade
Aspirant

@CptnMorgan wrote:
Updating again today. Noticed my wifi has no service in my bedroom. Went to check this POS brick and all the lights are flashing white. Rebooting does nothing. What kind of terrible piece of garbage gets bricked if unplugged or power outage or just simply whenever it decides to? I'm throwing this garbage in the trash after I get a smashing video to upload here. F*&$# Netgear. I'm switching to synology.

Ok, well after you switch, please do me a favor and let us know if you have any better results.  I don't know what to think - if the fault is with Netgear or if these things are just all flaky and undependable.  

Message 10 of 19
CatBlackSK6
Tutor

I fixed the single light problem by connecting my laptop to the EX8000 with an ethernet cable, resetting and going through setup again. The wireless method was unresponsive.

Message 11 of 19
CptnMorgan
Tutor

Its going to be painful. I have an R9000 from first year when they were $400-$500. And the EX8000 at $200.

A $200 device should not be flaky. When it works it does the job well. But I'm so sick of having to manually push firmware with TFTP client every few months. God forbid you power off this device. That's been the common issue on my end. Just a power cycle can usually brick the device.
Message 12 of 19
DanielKenobi
Aspirant

Works for me too
Message 13 of 19
Redevil301
Aspirant

Just had same issue. Hardwired it to my laptop and set it up as a new device again and came back to life. Pretty simple. Thought I would have had to bin it. It happened after after power went. All good now
Message 14 of 19
ianiention
Aspirant

I like lots of people tried the factory reset, just to get the 2.4Ghz white light after it has reset.

I then tried the ethernet connection 192.168.1.250 as suggested.

This failed on the 1st laptop I tried - might be something with the laptop

Then tried with a work laptop and it connected over the ethernet straight away.

I then got the full setup screens, which I couldn't get over the wifi connection and now it's working fine. I might be back in a week if not 🙂

So go for the ethernet connection to do the setup if you can.

But to be honest for a wifi extender product I'd expect it's wifi configuration to be fantastic, it is not. I don't know if it's because it's just difficult to do or Netgear aren't very good at it.

Good luck.

Message 15 of 19
CptnMorgan
Tutor

Well, mines been working since my last post. 2 months or so. Every time this happens the only hope I have is performing the firmware install via TFTP client over Ethernet. The link to the article is below.

https://kb.netgear.com/000059633/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP-client

For the amount of money this costs they really need to fix this problem. A class action lawsuits really should be created over this piece of garbage.

I hope Ethernet connection and access point setup works better, because as soon as I get Google fiber and move my router I'm going to try that instead.
Message 16 of 19
Mhuelskamp
Initiate

Plugging directly into the device and setting up works.
Message 17 of 19
CptnMorgan
Tutor

Well a week ago my ex8000 bricked again. Pushed firmware with tftp64 again. Many conflicts with DHCP not obeying reservation table. IP address conflicts. Virtual MAC addresses that didn't make any sense. Decided it was time to end the frustration.

The Nighthawk R9000 and EX8000 were my stepping stone while mesh systems got better. I bit the bullet and smashed the EX8000 to pieces.

Bought an Eero pro 6 system and couldn't be happier. It may not have all the powerful networking abilities of a normal router, but my network transitioned simply. A $30 switch gave me more ports. My wifi is stronger faster and more reliable than ever. My wireless cameras have not dropped once. The simplicity of the Eero app and DHCP reservations blew me away. Everything is amazing and stress free.
Message 18 of 19
plemans
Guru

Hope the eero stays working well for you!

I've actually been looking at their 6e model as its pretty decent priced for a triband mesh system

Message 19 of 19
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7