× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: My Netgear WN2000RPT Is Not Reliable

speedtestguy
Aspirant

My Netgear WN2000RPT Is Not Reliable

I have a Netgear WN2000RPT Wifi Range Extender connected to a Motorola SBG6580 Modem/Router. The router works perfect but the extender drops the connection on my devices making me disable then renable wifi in the settings for it to work for a very short amount of time again when they are connected to it except for my HP Windows 8 Laptop. What could be wrong and how would I fix it? Thanks in advance for your help!
Message 1 of 20
speedtestguy
Aspirant

Please Help.
Message 2 of 20
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Make sure extender is overlapping the signal with main router. Meaning do not place extender where you have wireless issues. It needs to be located to closer to the main router so that it can get proper signal .
Message 3 of 20
speedtestguy
Aspirant

jmizoguchi wrote:
Make sure extender is overlapping the signal with main router. Meaning do not place extender where you have wireless issues. It needs to be located to closer to the main router so that it can get proper signal .

It has a green indicator light so that should be okay right? Thanks for your help!
Message 4 of 20
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Good indication . I would check status when you drop the traffic .
Message 5 of 20
speedtestguy
Aspirant

jmizoguchi wrote:
Good indication . I would check status when you drop the traffic .

Everytime that it does drop connection the status light stays a solid green. Thanks for your help!
Message 6 of 20
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

It is possible the where you are having wifi issues can be from channel interference .
Message 7 of 20
speedtestguy
Aspirant

jmizoguchi wrote:
It is possible the where you are having wifi issues can be from channel interference .

That's a good idea but my network is the only one on channel 11 that I pick up from my neighborhood. Thanks for your help!
Message 8 of 20
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

I would try reset the unit and see if that helps
Message 9 of 20
speedtestguy
Aspirant

jmizoguchi wrote:
I would try reset the unit and see if that helps

Thanks for the suggestion but when I do this it works then about a day later the problem returns. I have noticed that when I turn off the laptop all of the other devices seam to work perfect, but as soon as the laptop reconnects the laptop works perfect and other devices are slow, would this help find the problem any? Thanks for your help!
Message 10 of 20
speedtestguy
Aspirant

Does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks in advance for your help!
Message 11 of 20
speedtestguy
Aspirant

Please help if anyone has any other suggestions!
Message 12 of 20
Just62
Tutor

Have had a WN2000RPT for a few years now. Works really well, ... but did find that regular re-setting of extender was necessary. 3G connection was through a "Netcomm 3G24W" router. Have up approx. 20 devices connecting and disconnecting (2Xboxes, Wii, phones, iPods, laptops and a PC) all day long, kids :D.
Things I noticed:-
1) Regular reset needed.(at least once a day)
2) Bandwidth is shared equally with devices so... more devices slower network,
3) 3G HSPA has a max download speed of 21MB, not really fast, especially if its going to be shared. (newer devices I believe can reach 42MB). For best results I tried to limit downloading devices to 2.
4)When the kids are streaming movies or visiting one another on "MindCraft" or such tended to slow internet down. I just had to be patient.

Hope this helps. 🙂
Message 13 of 20
Just62
Tutor

ops! When I say "re-set" I mean power off-on. 😮
Not a factory reset!!! :eek:
This clears what ever dynamic list the extender has, and starts afresh.

Just62
Message 14 of 20
speedtestguy
Aspirant

Just62 wrote:
Have had a WN2000RPT for a few years now. Works really well, ... but did find that regular re-setting of extender was necessary. 3G connection was through a "Netcomm 3G24W" router. Have up approx. 20 devices connecting and disconnecting (2Xboxes, Wii, phones, iPods, laptops and a PC) all day long, kids :D.
Things I noticed:-
1) Regular reset needed.(at least once a day)
2) Bandwidth is shared equally with devices so... more devices slower network,
3) 3G HSPA has a max download speed of 21MB, not really fast, especially if its going to be shared. (newer devices I believe can reach 42MB). For best results I tried to limit downloading devices to 2.
4)When the kids are streaming movies or visiting one another on "MindCraft" or such tended to slow internet down. I just had to be patient.

Hope this helps. 🙂

How often do you normally have to reset the extender? I only have 6mbps down and .52 up from my cable provider.
Message 15 of 20
speedtestguy
Aspirant

I found a hidden dhcp server in the settings and enabled it. The Repeater seems to be working great and hasn't dropped the connection for the past few hours.
Message 16 of 20
speedtestguy
Aspirant

The extender is dropping again. Would it help if I replaced my motorola router with a netgear one instead?
Message 17 of 20
elbertq
Aspirant

I am having same problem. I have to power down/power up my repeater almost daily. When I first installed(Dec 2013) I would need to restart occasionally, but now it is a daily occurrence. Very frustrating. Do I need to pay $39.99 Netgear Support to help me?

Thanks for any guidance.
Message 18 of 20
speedtestguy
Aspirant

elbertq wrote:
I am having same problem. I have to power down/power up my repeater almost daily. When I first installed(Dec 2013) I would need to restart occasionally, but now it is a daily occurrence. Very frustrating. Do I need to pay $39.99 Netgear Support to help me?

Thanks for any guidance.

If you are using a different ssid then your main router this should work and is what I did. Go to http://www.mywifiext.com/cgi-bin/hidden_dhcpd.html and enable the dhcp server using non conflicting IP addresses with the main router. This is what I did and the extender hasn't dropped the connection once for the past week or so and I haven't power cycled once.
Message 19 of 20
speedtestguy
Aspirant

I fixed this by setting the main router to N-Only. I can now disable dhcp on the extender and I am using the same ssid.
Message 20 of 20
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7