× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

My Wifi Extender Cause slower speed then using the router itself.

GillyGumDrop
Follower

My Wifi Extender Cause slower speed then using the router itself.

Hello, 

Here is my set up just for some background,

I have Xfintiy 1200 Mbps plan

I have the CM2000-100NAS- NETGEAR - Nighthawk 32 x 8 DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem, when hardwired tested to my laptop it gives 1338 MBPS, so that's probably the speed it gives my router.

My router is the RAXE 500-100NAS-NETGEAR - Nighthawk AXE11000 Tri-Band WiFi 6E Router

I changed the WAN port from the the 1 gig internet port to the 2.5 multi gig port. When my laptop is wired to it, the speed it give are 936MBPS

When I test wifi speeds 2.4G is 150MBPS, 

5G-600MBPS

When I test in my room, which is about maybe 25 feet away from my router, 

2.4G speed is 125-135MBPS

5G speed is 250MBPS-300MBPS

However whenever I connect my Playstation 5, I amm literally lagging every second, so I thought, hey maybe a wife extender can help, so I went out and bought two wifi extenders.

I got the AC2200- NETGEAR - Nighthawk X4 AC2200 Dual-Band Wi-Fi Range Extender -

and the 

EAX80-100NAS- NETGEAR - Nighthawk EAX80 AX6000 WiFi 6 Range Extender and Signal Booster

So I went to go a configure the extendersk I first configured the ac2200, and my internet dipped terribly

2.4G went from 130MBPS to 30MBPS

5G went from 350-400MBPS to 120MBPS, testing from the same spot, just this time with the extender configured, so I disconnected it completely.

When I configure the EAX80 wifi extender same thing, 

2.4G went from 130MBPS- 25MPBS 

However 5G increase to 300MBPS in my room, but dipped everywhere else, also when I connected to it through ethernet, it gave 600 Mbps, so that wasn't to bad, but it still dipped the 2.4G server. I called Netgear support, but they were useless, respectfully. I factory reset the extenders, and plugged reconfigured them again but it was still giving super slow speeds.

I used the Netgear app to configure the extenders with the same name, however, when I configured the AC2200 extender as an extender with a different name, EX: Netgear85_EXT, My speeds got so low, 2.4G was 1.8mbps and 5g was 18MBPS.

All my devices are about 1 week old, brand new and updated to the latest firmware.

Is this suppose to happen when I connect a wifi extender, the main reason I did this was to make my Playstation wired, but also to extend the range, but looking back at it, I feel like it was pointless. Do y'all suggest I get a powerline?

PS: I know wifi extender, are not wifi boosters, you get what you get, what I was trying to do was match the 5g speeds as if I was next to my router. For example, my wifi speeds on 5g right next to the router are 600mbps, that's why I got wifi extenders, so I could get that speed around my whole house, but I am starting to think that isn't what wifi extenders do.

Model: EX7300|AC2200 Nighthawk X4 WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: My Wifi Extender Cause slower speed then using the router itself.

A couple issues. 

1. AC2200 is a speed not a model. There's 2x AC extenders with that speed. One is a dual band, the other triband. Which did you get? 

2. Single and dual band extenders take at least a 50% speed hit of what they receive. Reason why is dual and single band extenders have to use the same chip to go router-----extender and then extender-----devices. And they can't do both at the same time. so they take a 50% speed reduction because of that.  Add on the fact that distance/interference/obstruction also reduces the signal/speeds for where the extender is at and the extenders output is going to be even less than 50% output. 

3. 2.4ghz is sensitive to interfernce. Significanly so. Add in using an extender and speeds can drop quickly. Dropping to 30mbps is bit extreme as even some base model N300 extenders can do 20-30mbps output. Hitting 150mbps on the RAXE is pretty fantastic. Most 2.4ghz devices/routers wont' get close to that. But it could still have intererence. Have you tried changing which channels the RAXE is on for 2.4ghz?

4. What firmware are you on with the RAXE? 

5. The speedtest hardwired into the EAX80 is a good sign. Its meaning its backhaul is getting a good connection to the router. 

6. What band are you connecting to on the Playstation? 

7. What actual speeds are you getting on the playstation? Extenders tend to increase lag because its another connection between playstation and router. the lag might be from something else or a different issue. 

8. what device (and wireless card) are you testing on? Many AX devices are only 1x1 or 2x2 antenna devices. And many don't support 160hz wide channels. 

If you want a good read on wireless, here's a good site that I'd recommend. It goes over a lot of misconceptions. 

https://www.duckware.com/tech/wifi-in-the-us.html

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7