× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

MyQ garage door loses connection daily to EX7700 extender

Timothyah2
Guide

MyQ garage door loses connection daily to EX7700 extender

Hello,

I recently rearranged my wifi setup and my smart garage door is closer to my extender (EX7700). My garage door loses connection multiple times a day sometimes for a few minutes and sometimes for a couple hours. The device automatically reconnects. I never had this problem when my garage door was closer to my router (CAX80). My current setup is more ideal for all of my other devices. Is there a way to fix this?
Message 1 of 20
plemans
Guru

Re: MyQ garage door loses connection daily to EX7700 extender

Is it actually connecting to the extender? 

reason I ask is the EX7700 is a mesh extender so it'll have the same ssid as the router (if you set it up that way). 

And its (the MyQ) the device that decides if it connects to the router versus the extender when setup in mesh mode. 

So it might be trying to connect to the router versus the extender and having issues. 

You can disable the mesh mode on the ex7700 and give it its own SSID so the MyQ has to connect to it. 

I'd try that and see if it stays stable. 

Message 2 of 20
Timothyah2
Guide

Yes it connects to the extender but I believe for some reason the extender does not allow it to stay connected. When it stays connected it is connected to the router. They do have the same ssid and I don’t want to change it because I have a lot of home devices set up to the network. Is there a way to always have the garage connect to the router and not the extender?
Message 3 of 20
plemans
Guru

You can't force it to connect to one versus the other in mesh mode. In mesh mode, its the MyQ that decides. 

You can try going in and setting a static ip address for the MyQ. Maybe thats causing an issue. 

Message 4 of 20
Timothyah2
Guide

Can you do that from the nighthawk app? Or do I have to do that in my browser? And what does that do?
Message 5 of 20
plemans
Guru

Its easier to do from within the browser for the router. 

It just gives it the same IP address whether its connected to router or extender. Sometimes it can help

Message 6 of 20
Timothyah2
Guide

Okay thanks! Is there any other things I can try? Thanks for all your help!
Message 7 of 20
plemans
Guru

One of the other things I'd try would be to re-run the setup on the ex7700. During the install process with the installation assistant, uncheck the 'extend 2.4ghz signal" box. You can still use the 2.4ghz but it won't use it as failover but will strictly use the dedicated backhaul. I've seen that help with stability on 2.4ghz devices. 

Message 8 of 20
Timothyah2
Guide

SO I tried both of those things and when I only extended the 5 ghz net work my devices didnt have a strong enough connection with the 2.4 ghz network to operate. When I used the sttic IP address for the garage door through the weekend, the problem still existed. My current router is downstairs at the back of my house and close to most of my devices. The extended is upstairs in the front of the house and impacts 2 cameras in the front of the house and the garage door. I've noticed that my cameras are also not operating like they should. I cant completely describe it, but I think the extender does not work well when a devices randomly pings for a connection. For example, when the camera picks up motion it randomly connects to the extender to upload that video clip to the cloud and doesnt maintain a consistent connection. Same with the garage door, a random short term connection. Versus a streaming device turns on a maintains a consistent connection until you turn it off. I'm not a super tech savvy person, but I believe this is whats happening. Does anyone have a solution to this? I really like the location of my router right now for all of my other devices and would like to leave it as is. Is there a different netgear device I should try?

Message 9 of 20
plemans
Guru

You might be to far away (between router/extender) if you don't have a decent connection with the 2.4ghz backhaul disabled. Do you have a screen snip of the extenders wireless stats page? 

5ghz doesn't broadcast as far or through as much materials. But if your extender is far enough away the 5ghz is barely connecting, the 2.4ghz is going to struggle as well. 

Message 10 of 20
Timothyah2
Guide

My signal strength seems to be fine because I am getting good speeds when I run a speed test on my phone. I have my work computer hardwired to the extender and get speeds over 300 mb/s. I think the connection is fine I just think there is something stopping the random pings of the cameras/garage door. My garage door has a status light that blinks green when it shows offline. When the light is blinking green that means that the garage door is connected to the internet but cant connect to its server. When the garage door is showing offline I look on my nighthawk app and the garage door is showing connected with a strong signal. So it is connected to my extender with a strong signal but for some reason the extender is not letting it get access to the server. Again I'm not a super technical person so forgive me if I am explaining that wrong, but that seems to be what is happening. I also didn't have these problems when my router was closer to the garage door. So that makes me think the extender is somehow blocking access to the internet when these devices randomly ping for internet access. What screen do you need a screenshot of? Is that on the nighthawk app?

Message 11 of 20
plemans
Guru

any chance you could swap the extender and the router? if it stays connected to the router fine and its the only device with the issue

Message 12 of 20
Timothyah2
Guide

That was my original set up but most of my devices are close to where my router is now and work a lot better now being closer to the router (could be because of the same issue).
Message 13 of 20
plemans
Guru

What firmware is on the CAX?

And on the EX7700?

Message 14 of 20
Timothyah2
Guide

CAX80 - V2.1.4.2

EX7700 - V1.0.0.226

Message 15 of 20
plemans
Guru

Try installing the 1.0.0.210 firmware to the extender. I hadn't seen many issues on the forums with that version. Maybe the one you're on has unknown issues. 

Message 16 of 20
Timothyah2
Guide

How do you do that? Thank you so much for all your help!
Message 17 of 20
plemans
Guru

download it from the support site and then extract it. 

then log into the extenders browser and go to firmware update. 

Follow the firmware update process but use the older firmware. 

Message 18 of 20
jamesbrown412
Aspirant

Hi there! It sounds like the distance between your smart garage door and extender might be causing the connectivity issues. Here are a few things you could try:

1. Move the extender closer to the garage door to improve signal strength.

2. Consider getting a dedicated WiFi range extender or access point that is specifically designed for garage or outdoor use, as these devices typically have better range and durability.

3. Check if there are any obstructions between the extender and the garage door, such as walls, metal objects, or other devices that could be causing interference. Try moving these objects out of the way to improve signal quality.

4. Make sure that the firmware on your smart garage door and WiFi extender are up to date, as outdated firmware can sometimes cause connectivity issues.

Hopefully, these tips help you improve the connection between your smart Garage Door and extender.

Message 19 of 20
colleencamacho5
Aspirant

@jamesbrown412 wrote:

Hi there! It sounds like the distance between your smart garage door and extender might be causing the connectivity issues. Here are a few things you could try:

1. Move the extender closer to the garage door to improve signal strength.

2. Consider getting a dedicated WiFi range extender or access point that is specifically designed for garage or outdoor use, as these devices typically have better range and durability.

3. Check if there are any obstructions between the extender and the garage door, such as walls, metal objects, or other devices that could be causing interference. Try moving these objects out of the way to improve signal quality.

4. Make sure that the firmware on your smart garage door and WiFi extender are up to date, as outdated firmware can sometimes cause connectivity issues.

Hopefully, these tips help you improve the connection between your smart james smith online calculator and extender.

What firmware is on the CAX?

And on the EX7700?

Current setup: CM2000-> RBKE963B-> Trendnet TEG-S380-> GS716T-> pi-hole
also in AP setup: RAXE500->EAX80
1.4gig download/50mbps upload from Xfinity
We’re members of the public helping out on our own time.
Message 20 of 20
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7