× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Mystery IP Address in device map

mshafton
Tutor

Mystery IP Address in device map

Recently added an ex8000 to my existing network router (c7800) to extend wifi coverage. Everything appears to be working fine, but when I access the device map using netgenie, I am now seeing and unknown device with an IP of 192.168.0.100. This is well outside of any devices that are normally connected. My home net is about 30 devices and the previous highest IP was 192.168.0.30. If I turn off the extender, the mystery device disappears. Any idea what this is? I am not seeing any signs of intrusion or unauthorized use of my network. Thanks in advance for any help you might offer.

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

On the Extender, under Connected Devices on would assume to see all WiFi or wired clients connected to the WiFi Extender, including the real MAC address, the virtual MAC address, the IP address.

identifying the device is done best based on the real MAC address.

Names are not always meaningful, device typie identification is not that reliable.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 9

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

When you browse to http://192.168.0.100 do you see the extender login page?

Message 2 of 9
mshafton
Tutor

No I do not see the extender login page. The attempt just times out and returns nothing. I should have mentioned, that I can see the extender on the network map at 192.68.0.29. I can tell you that when I use routerlogin.net I do not see the mystery device, only in netgenie.

Message 3 of 9
StephenB
Guru

The router's web ui doesn't show it in attached devices?

How about the extender's list (at http://192.68.0.29).

Message 4 of 9
schumaku
Guru

Are you aware that the Netgear WiFi Extenders make use of a MAC address translation, read a device connected to the router WiFi does show the device WiFi MAC address, but when connected to the WiFi Extender it will show up on the network with a different (translated) "virtual" MAC address, and therefore the DHCP server will assign different IP addresses?

This can make the same wireless deice appear almost complete different, depending where it's connected to.

Message 5 of 9
mshafton
Tutor

Does not show in the extender device list either.

Message 6 of 9
mshafton
Tutor

Not sure if I entirely understand your response, but if this is a known device with a "translated" address, how do I determine what the device really is? Right now it just shows up as unknown. Also why does in only show in the netgenie app. and not on the device list of the router or the extender? Thanks.

Message 7 of 9
schumaku
Guru

On the extender you see the real MAC address..
On the router you see the virtual MAC address.

The router DHCP server will assign different address by DHCP because of the virtual MAC than what it would do with a direct connection to the router WiFi.

Message 8 of 9
schumaku
Guru

On the Extender, under Connected Devices on would assume to see all WiFi or wired clients connected to the WiFi Extender, including the real MAC address, the virtual MAC address, the IP address.

identifying the device is done best based on the real MAC address.

Names are not always meaningful, device typie identification is not that reliable.

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7