× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

N300 EX2700 won't connect with modem

LoriWhitwam
Aspirant

N300 EX2700 won't connect with modem

Trying to install N300 EX2700 range extender, but the device link LED never lights, not connecting with modem. I even have it hooked up with ethernet cables right now, and it still won't connect. Any suggestions?

Model: EX2700|N300 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
LoriWhitwam
Aspirant

Re: N300 EX2700 won't connect with modem

No, it didn't. But a couple days later, a wi-fi network "Netgear_ext" showed up in my listings. I started messing with it, then I was able to access the activation webpage. I'm still not sure how I did it, but eventually it worked, and it's now set up and solved my lack of signal strength on the TV furthest from the router. 

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 9

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

Per the FAQ in the manual (link), you cannot connect the EX2700 to a router or modem via Ethernet.  IOW, you cannot use the EX2700 as an Access Point.  It must be used as wireless range extender.

Message 2 of 9
LoriWhitwam
Aspirant

That's what I'm trying to do. But I can't get it to recognize my wi-fi router to connect into the network. The power light comes on but the device link LED never lights up. They won't link. So I tried connecting them with a cable, just till it "met" the network, but that didn't work either. I think my router must have some setting that's preventing it (Linksys) but I don't know how/where to access the settings or which one might need to be changed.

Message 3 of 9
TheEther
Guru

I suggest you use a paperclip and perform a factory reset (push the button for at least seven seconds).  Then follow the instructions in the manual to set it up.

Message 4 of 9
LoriWhitwam
Aspirant

On the router or the Netgear signal extender? (Sorry for being such a dolt...I have someone who usually does this stuff for me, but he's unavailable.)

Message 5 of 9
TheEther
Guru

The extender.

Message 6 of 9
LoriWhitwam
Aspirant

I'll try it. Thank you!

Message 7 of 9
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello LoriWhitwam

Did the factory reset fix the issue?

DarrenM

Message 8 of 9
LoriWhitwam
Aspirant

No, it didn't. But a couple days later, a wi-fi network "Netgear_ext" showed up in my listings. I started messing with it, then I was able to access the activation webpage. I'm still not sure how I did it, but eventually it worked, and it's now set up and solved my lack of signal strength on the TV furthest from the router. 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7