× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

N300 Range Extender Wifi up to 300 mbps vs 144 mbps

NTB
Follower
Follower

N300 Range Extender Wifi up to 300 mbps vs 144 mbps

Hi All, I just bought and installed n300 wifi range extender. It is suppose to extend up to 300 mbps, however just now I checked my netgear status page it showed that I was only at 144 mbps. 1) How can I get my netgear to reach and maintain the 300 mbps? AND 2)how can I make it maintain a consistant wifi internet connection (currently it goes in and out)?

Model: WN3000RPv3|N300 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: N300 Range Extender Wifi up to 300 mbps vs 144 mbps

The issue with 2.4ghz signals comes down to the very thing that makes them work well. They broadcast far and through more materials than 5ghz. Because of that though, they cause quite a bit of interference and there isn't as much wireless spectrum in the spectrum they operate on. a couple questions first.

1. What firmware is it on?

2. What router are you connecting it to?

3. How far from the router is it? 

4. What are you interior walls of your home? many materials do great jobs of blocking wifi signals. These include plaster lathe, adobe, concrete, brick, tile with metal backing, etc. 

5. have you tried clicking the drop down box to set it as "up to 300mbps"? 

A few things you can try is to change the wifi channel you're on. If you're on a congested wifi channel, it'll create interference and in turn, dropped signals. Usually we recommend 1-6-11 for wifi channels. It also usually needs to be set at your router as the extender will use the same channel the router is using. 

something else to keep in mind. The extender has to have a good signal to work. Its reliant on the router. So if your router isn't a very good one, the extender isn't going to be very good as its functioning off the router. 

here's your support page with manual, firmware, and troubleshooting. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/WN3000RPv3.aspx

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7