× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: N300 Wifi Range Extender wrong password problem

Nakkatja
Aspirant

N300 Wifi Range Extender wrong password problem

Hi! I have just bought a wifi extender. But when I enter my password it says it is the wrong password. But it’s the right one (the same as the wifi router). I dont know what to do.. Does somebody know what is wrong?
Thank you in advance 🙂
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Need more info.

how are you accessing the extender? netgear genie, netgear app, browser gui?

are you accessing it over wifi or ethernet?

Are you using a password manager or have you tried manually typing them in?

the password for the router might not be the same as the one for the extender.

have you tried the default info? login admin password is password

Message 2 of 6
Nakkatja
Aspirant

I’m trying to access the extender settings but it says I cant connect to the extender, I’m going to this site Mywifiext.net on my laptop, I connected the extender to the main router and the lights are on
Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

1. Model number:

2. Has it successfully been setup? you say the lights are on but did you go through the full setup procedure. And if the lights are on, how are they lit. colors, blinking etc.

3. You say you can't access it. do you mean you can't log into its wifi or you can't access it once its connected to your router?

4. Are you sure its connected to your router? If you go into your attached devices page on your router, does it show up on your attached devices list?  If it shows up on your attached devices list, it'll have an IP address. Can you access it from that ip address?

Message 4 of 6
Nakkatja
Aspirant

1. N300
2. No I just connected it to my router, the lights were green and then I placed it in my room to try and connect to it so I could finish the setup but it just wont let me connect
3. Cant access once connected to my router

4. I’m sure it’s connected properly it even showed up as an Extender when I searched for Wi-Fi on my phone and laptop. Its hard to look in my router settings because its the router of one of my roommates.
“Should I try reconnecting it and try accessing the extender settings on my laptop in her room?”
Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

@Nakkatja wrote:
1. N300---isn't a model number
2. No I just connected it to my router, the lights were green and then I placed it in my room to try and connect to it so I could finish the setup but it just wont let me connect---You connected it to your router. How, over ethernet, via wifi? did you follow the setup procedure? in the manual?  
3. Cant access once connected to my router.  Can you ever access it? Or have you ever been able to log into it?

4. I’m sure it’s connected properly it even showed up as an Extender when I searched for Wi-Fi on my phone and laptop. Its hard to look in my router settings because its the router of one of my roommates.---its default settings will broadcast a name with ext at the end even if it isn't setup properly. On the back of most extenders has the default name and password. Try to use those to login if you haven't changed the wifi and password. 
“Should I try reconnecting it and try accessing the extender settings on my laptop in her room?”   

You should try to hardwire in and make sure you're setting it up properly. On the back of the extender is the model number. Go to 

https://www.netgear.com/support/

Enter your model and lookup the install procedure and follow that exactly to make sure you're doing it right. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7