× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: N300 config help

Night101
Aspirant

N300 config help

I have a n300 wireless router and I'm having trouble setting it up to use the dns/dhcp on my local network. Also it keeps on wanting to direct all internet traffic through the internet port on the switch but I would prefer to just keep it all on the network since I'm using the switch to connect to a local computer and need the networks dhcp/dns function there (which doesn't work if I plug the ethernet line into the internet port).

Also for extra info, I'm using a proxy on my network and will need to direct all my internet traffic to it(all the traffic from the wireless actually, except that from the switch to the proxy).

Many thanks, I've tried several setup configs, but although I can get it working, I normally disable my dhcp/dns on the router (help!, I'm considering looping a ethernet cable from my switch into the internet port on the n300....)
Message 1 of 4
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

you have to disable DHCP on router and manually configure each pc or place your OWN dhcp server and get proxy to work correctly.
Message 2 of 4
Night101
Aspirant

I actually went ahead and made a small ethernet cable to connect the switch on the n300 to the internet port, and got it working just fine there. However, I would still prefer it if I didn't have to go to such twisted solutions to get things to work right.

I disabled the dhcp on the n300 but haven't gotten a chance to see if the network dhcp will work for systems that are connected by wireless. As it is, my computer that is connected to the switch can connect to the main dhcp just fine although I don't see how that will go with everything else (sorry for the dis-coherence, I'm really sleepy right now).

Does anyone know of a less messy way to make things work?
Message 3 of 4
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

if you just put your light linux server with proxy with two NICS. one goes broadband and 2nd one is your LAN and use switch and AP to have your own proxy.
Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7