× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: N300 router (can't login router)

appple1
Aspirant

N300 router (can't login router)

I had my N300 router set as repeater to extend the range of Wifi in our house, the main router is RangeMax Dual Band 3300, They are working fine. The wireless channel was set at 11, now I would like to change it to 5, I can do it on the RangeMax 3300 by login on to the router, but I can't login on the N300 router by type 192.168.1.1, Please help
Message 1 of 22
Daedalus01
Aspirant

If you have 2 devices, they both have to have separate ip address. ie. 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2 that way you can have access to both devices. From the sound of it, the n300 might not be setup correctly.
Message 2 of 22
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

I agree. Both device is still on same default IP of the devices. Reset the 2nd unit and re- setup with correct ip for the 2nd device which does not conflict anyway
Message 3 of 22
appple1
Aspirant

Thanks June and Daedalus01 for your reply. I barely managed to set up these two devices with the help from the customer service a year ago. Now I am very afraid to mess it up (it's working now, just want to make it better, I have this android app "wifi-analyzer" which says the channel 5 or 6 is better than the current setting of channel 11). Any chance you can show me ho to reset the 2nd unit and re-setup with correct ip for the 2nd device. Thanks
Message 4 of 22
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Message 5 of 22
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

reset the 2nd unit and redo it with URL above just given
Message 6 of 22
appple1
Aspirant

Hi, June
Sorry, I have been busy for the last 6 months, now want to revisit the issue again.
It turns out that the N300 (the repeater)'s ip is actually 192.168.1.101,
I read the link you sent, and I have few new questions

1. The article mentioned that I should use different channels for the RangeMax Dual Band 3300 and N300, but when I changed the channel on the RangeMax Dual Band 3300, the N300 can't connect to theRangeMax Dual Band 3300, anything I have to do on the N300 side?

2. the article is for setting up the Access Point, mine is set up as Repeater, is it different thing, or same?

3. In the article : under the Extra Considerations

"3. If the router that is not wireless router/access point is also wireless:
Separate the two devices to the edge of their wireless ranges, or else
Use different SSIDs. "

How do I know the two devices is at the edge of their wireless ranges? I did use different SSIDs.

Again, thanks for your help.
Message 7 of 22
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

link is NOT repeating

repeating when BOTH router/AP are connected wireless each other which are NOT same as the URL given. URL are connected PHYSICALLY with CAT5 between the two devices

if both are setup SAME as URL given then you can use same SSID for same family router or simply just want two location with different SSID then you can do that as well.
Message 8 of 22
appple1
Aspirant

Since I can't connect the router and AP with CAT5 cable, so my setup has to be repeating.
Does that mean the channels has to be same?
Is there a URL for the repeating setup?
Thanks
Message 9 of 22
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Message 10 of 22
appple1
Aspirant

Good instruction. My setup is very much like that. Except,

1. I have different SSIDs for both, Is there a disadvantage?

2. I don't have list of MAC address programed in, because I have guests visiting sometimes, would like to let them use internet, is there better way to do this?

Thanks
Message 11 of 22
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

don't work with different SSID on give URL
Message 12 of 22
appple1
Aspirant

I am trying to upgrade my networking system, got the N750 as master and other 2 N300 as repeaters

I followed this guide

http://vpncasestudy.com/download/WDS/WDS_Concept.pdf

But can't connect the repeaters to the master wirelessly. (my devices will connect the internet via the master, but not via the repeaters)

How can I find out what did I do wrong?

Thanks
Message 13 of 22
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

WEP or no security must be used.
Message 14 of 22
appple1
Aspirant

Tried both WEP and none, same thing (iphone and computer connect to the repeater, but no internet connection)
Message 15 of 22
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

try putting google DNS on wifi devices and see
Message 16 of 22
appple1
Aspirant

jmizoguchi wrote:
try putting google DNS on wifi devices and see

How do you do this?
Message 17 of 22
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

google for google DNS and the have instruction as well
Message 18 of 22
appple1
Aspirant

Just did a quick read on the subject, don't know how will it help with the repeating. but I will try it out.

Questions:
1.Do I put that on the Master, or do I have to put it on the repeaters also, how about the computers/ipads ?

2.There is a section on the Internet Setup page:
Domain Name Server Address
Currently the Get Automatically from ISP is checked, do I check the Use These DNS Servers and put 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 in the Primary DNS and Secondary DNS

Thanks
Message 19 of 22
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Computer.........
Message 20 of 22
appple1
Aspirant

So I have to do this on every computers/laptops/mobile devices, right?

And how is that going to make the repeating work?
Message 21 of 22
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

If I were you I would test ONE device and you know answer to the rest if that works
Message 22 of 22
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7