× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

N600 WNDR3400 and XBOX - NIGHTMARE

christhered
Follower

N600 WNDR3400 and XBOX - NIGHTMARE

Hi,

I just bought a NETGEAR N600 WNDR3400 router to replace an Apple Time Capsule.

The guy in the store told me they work great with game consoles and allow laptops and other devices to connect to the internet at th esame time due to the dual channels.

Having used Apple products for many year I guess I foolishly thought that this would be as effortless to set up...how wrong could I be?

So, here's what I have:

Two Mac Books that we use to connect to the internet
Four mobile phones that connect to the internet
A PS3 that connects to the internet
Two XBOX 360's that connect to the internet

Using the Time Capsule they all connected, at the same time, and worked great, wirelessly.

I get this product and am told it will work even better.

After finally getting it set up (a story in itself), I began trying to connect all the devices.

Mac Books: both saw the 2.4GHz and 5Ghz channels...I connected them both to the 2.4Ghz channel leaving the 5Ghz channel for the game consoles assuming it was the better of the two in terms of speed...(is this correct?)

Mobile phones: connected to the 2.4Ghz channel...they can't see the 5Ghz channel

Game consoles: can only see the 2.4Ghz channel

So, why is this so? Why can't the consoles see the 5Ghz channel?

The consoles are very close to the router so distance shouldn't be the issue...or should it? I was told that these things have 'fantastic range'.

Now, I'm a real NOVICE, so please don't start talking about DMZ and NAT...I've read other posts that talk about this stuff but have no idea what it means...

What I'm really looking for is somebody to guide me through getting this set up so that my kids can get their consoles online again...but tell me what to press and where...I don't need to know why it works!

If I can't get it sorted I guess I'm gonna just have to go and buy another Time Capsule...can't really afford another one, but sometimes you just have to...

Thanks in advance for your help.
Message 1 of 2
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: N600 WNDR3400 and XBOX - NIGHTMARE

wndr3400 is NOT access point. it is WIRELESS/WIRED ROUTER

belong to http://forum1.netgear.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos