× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NETGEAR AC3000 Nighthawk Mesh X6S and Australian TPG modem router - Drops out once a day

NETGEAR AC3000 Nighthawk Mesh X6S and Australian TPG modem router - Drops out once a day

I have an Australian TPG National Broadband Network modem router. I bought the NETGEAR AC3000 Nighthawk Mesh X6S and set it up using mywifiext. I was really pleased for a few days as the MESH connection worked brilliantly. Now though (a week on) I have to reboot both of them most days as it loses internet connection. Does anyone have any tips?

Thanks

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: NETGEAR AC3000 Nighthawk Mesh X6S and Australian TPG modem router - Drops out once a day

A couple things to try. 

1. update the firmware.

2. factory reset the extender.

3. during setup of the extender, Uncheck the "extend 2.4ghz" button during setup. You'll still be able to use the 2.4ghz but it won't use it as failover. 2.4ghz is sensitive to interference and is a slow network. I've found disabling it as a failover option helps a lot of people

4. check what 5ghz the current router is broadcasting on. Maybe its has interference and needs to be changed. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Re: NETGEAR AC3000 Nighthawk Mesh X6S and Australian TPG modem router - Drops out once a day

what actual router model is it connected to? 

What firmware is on the EX8000?

What actually happens when it drops/goes down? does it say "connected, no internet"? Does the ssid stop broadcasting? Does it broadcast but devices won't connect? What actually happens? 

When it goes down, can you connect to the primary router and have it work? 

What it goes down, can you hardwire into the extender and does the hardwired device work? 

Message 2 of 6

what actual router model is it connected to? 

The model is an Archer VR1500V. AC1600 wireless dual band gigabit VDSL/ ADSL Modem Router.

What firmware is on the EX8000?

The firmware is 1.0.1.206. The latest version of the firmware available is 1.0.1.240. Should I upgrade?

What actually happens when it drops/goes down? does it say "connected, no internet"? Does the ssid stop broadcasting? Does it broadcast but devices won't connect? What actually happens? 

I can still see the SSIDs and can connect to them. Sometimes it says Unable to join network, or lets me join but has no internet. 

When it goes down, can you connect to the primary router and have it work? 

I can connect after I've rebooted the primary. I need to reboot the primary and Netgear Mesh devices for the internet to work again. 

What it goes down, can you hardwire into the extender and does the hardwired device work? 

I'll have to get an Ethernet cable to test this. Will get back to you.

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

A couple things to try. 

1. update the firmware.

2. factory reset the extender.

3. during setup of the extender, Uncheck the "extend 2.4ghz" button during setup. You'll still be able to use the 2.4ghz but it won't use it as failover. 2.4ghz is sensitive to interference and is a slow network. I've found disabling it as a failover option helps a lot of people

4. check what 5ghz the current router is broadcasting on. Maybe its has interference and needs to be changed. 

Message 4 of 6

Thanks for your help. I've tried all the things you suggested. So far so good!

Thanks again.

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

Hope it stays working well!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7