× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: NETGEAR EX8000 fails to exit "factor reset mode" after power up.

dougho2
Guide

NETGEAR EX8000 fails to exit "factor reset mode" after power up.

When powering up, the unit fails to stop flashing all led lights on the front panel.  I tried to the 'factor reset' method described in the user manual (hold 'reset' pin on back panel in for 7+ seconds then release), but no change in behavior.  Is this unit toast?

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
dougho2
Guide

After some lengthy trials, I tried both MAC versions and PC (Windows 10) versions of updating the firmware using TFTP client method.   The MAC version did not work and resulted in "Error 103" statement from the sw (or from the router).

The PC version worked, but not completely as described in the netgear support page.  Please refer to both of these: 

1: https://kb.netgear.com/000059633/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP-client

2: https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP

both instructions describe different methods of actually sending the firmware update file (EX8000-V1.0.1.192.img) to the EX8000 extender.   Neither are accurate!

What I actually did (successfully) was the following:

1) holding reset button in using a paperclip, turned the router on.  The power LED went from green to blinking red.  The number of 'blinks' never exceeded 6.  Then it went to static red.

2) release the reset button

3) initiate the TFTP command from a command line window on a WINDOWS 10 pc connected to the router using an "ethernet cable" (RJ45 male-male connectors with CAT5e cable between them).

4) the upload took approximately 20 seconds.  no change in any of the LED indicator lights took place during this time.

5) wait for the TFTP command to complete (it tells you when the file is completely transferred).

6) once that happens, the router indicator lights (ALL of them) shut down, even though  power is still applied and the power button is still depressed.

7) Wait 5 minutes.  

😎 The router reboots and the power indicator light on the rear panel turns green and the front LED indicator shows active (no longer blinking).

9) unplugged the windows pc from the router and hooked the ethernet cable back to my MacPro laptop and initiated a direct connection to the router using "http://mywifiext.local" URL address.  This was successful!  The router was reinitialized to the expected factor reset condition.   

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 11

All Replies
dougho2
Guide

As a follow-up to my just created post, I note that the LED adjacent to the power button on the back panel goes from "green" to "red" after 25 seconds.  ALL LEDs on front  panel continue to flash 1/second in sync.   Seems like a problem but I don't have the frimware code to tell otherwise.  Please advise.

Message 2 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Try holding the reset button for 15 seconds. 

If you connect a LAN connected PC to the back of the EX, does it get an IP address?

Message 3 of 11
dougho2
Guide

Further follow-up comment: I am unable to see this extender router on the network managed by my netgear R7000 router.  It seems that the extender can't get past the initial boot phase as it never appears on the network.  I have tried to log into it using a direct wired ethernet connection from a pc to the back-panel - but that again was unsuccesful (it doesn't recognise event a hardwired, factory default ip address as suggested by the user manual).

Message 4 of 11
dougho2
Guide

tried holding reset in for 15-20 seconds.  No change.  As I stated in 3rd post, I am attempting to talk to it directly with an ethernet cable

Message 5 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

See if this might work to recovery it:

https://kb.netgear.com/000059633/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP-client

Be Sure to use Windows built in version of TFTP...

IF not, i would contact NG support. 

Message 6 of 11
dougho2
Guide

Do you have any other suggestions?

Message 7 of 11
dougho2
Guide

Thanks.  I will try this next and report after completion of manual firmware update process.

Message 8 of 11
dougho2
Guide

After some lengthy trials, I tried both MAC versions and PC (Windows 10) versions of updating the firmware using TFTP client method.   The MAC version did not work and resulted in "Error 103" statement from the sw (or from the router).

The PC version worked, but not completely as described in the netgear support page.  Please refer to both of these: 

1: https://kb.netgear.com/000059633/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP-client

2: https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP

both instructions describe different methods of actually sending the firmware update file (EX8000-V1.0.1.192.img) to the EX8000 extender.   Neither are accurate!

What I actually did (successfully) was the following:

1) holding reset button in using a paperclip, turned the router on.  The power LED went from green to blinking red.  The number of 'blinks' never exceeded 6.  Then it went to static red.

2) release the reset button

3) initiate the TFTP command from a command line window on a WINDOWS 10 pc connected to the router using an "ethernet cable" (RJ45 male-male connectors with CAT5e cable between them).

4) the upload took approximately 20 seconds.  no change in any of the LED indicator lights took place during this time.

5) wait for the TFTP command to complete (it tells you when the file is completely transferred).

6) once that happens, the router indicator lights (ALL of them) shut down, even though  power is still applied and the power button is still depressed.

7) Wait 5 minutes.  

😎 The router reboots and the power indicator light on the rear panel turns green and the front LED indicator shows active (no longer blinking).

9) unplugged the windows pc from the router and hooked the ethernet cable back to my MacPro laptop and initiated a direct connection to the router using "http://mywifiext.local" URL address.  This was successful!  The router was reinitialized to the expected factor reset condition.   

Message 9 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you were able to get the Extender recovered and working again. Thank you for posting the details. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 11
rojoyinc
Aspirant

WORKED - thanks saved me 200 for a new replacement.

Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 11 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7