× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: NETGEAR WiFi Mesh Range Extender EX7000

tregnabp
Aspirant

NETGEAR WiFi Mesh Range Extender EX7000

This issue just started last week and has happened three times since then.

My range extender seems to forget my wifi password.  I try to connect to it and it returns a message that the password is incorrect. I try is several times with the same result.

I unplug the EX7000 and plug it back in and then without reentering my password it connect just fine and works as it should.  I have three EX7000 range extenders and it has now happened on two of them but not the other.

Very annoying, it is like the password in the extender for the WiFi is being forgotten but is refreshed when it is powered off and back on.

The range extender was purchase in 2018 and has work perfectly since originally installed. There have been no updates to my knowledge unless there are updates down automatically.

A simple power down and power up solves the issue, but because of its location on a high shelf that is rather inconvenient.

Thanks,

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Yeah, if they're hardwired in, they should be in access point mode. Like you mentioned, they're a lot faster when setup in access point mode/hardwired in. Extender mode cuts their throughput 50% just by how it has to function. 

Should make your network quite a bit more stable

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

1. What router are you connecting them back to? 

2. are you setup in a daisy chain setup or star configuration?
Daisy chain: router------>extender------->extender

Star: extender<-------router-------->extender

3. I never recommend using more than 1 extender unless you can separate them far enough they can't pickup each others signals or if you're not using them as a mesh extender. Reason why is that there isn't a router controlling them. They're just connecting to an SSID. Problem with that is they can end up connecting to each other. It can create instabilities, drops, latency issues, slowed speeds, etc. Usually if someone has more than 1 extender, I highly recommend moving to an actual mesh system designed for it that has a router managing the system like Orbi or MK nighthawk. 

Not saying it can't work but many end up having to set 1 or 2 extenders with their own unique ssid so they don't create that loop (which ruins the point of "mesh"). 

Message 2 of 6
tregnabp
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply, greatly appreciated.

1. the router is provide by ATT and the model number is BGW210-700 it is in the basement.

2. The EX7000s were added because the WiFi signal was too weak in other areas.

One EX7000 is in the back of our house one story up and maybe thirty feet away,

Another EX7000 is in our unattached garage which is over 50 feet away from the first EX7000

Another EX7000 is in an adjoining building approximately 50 feet way inside that building

This is a star configuration they are not daisy chained to each other all are hard wired connected.

3. This configuration has been working since 2018 with no difficulty.  The problem just started about a week ago and has occurred several times.

All EX7000 boxes use the same WiFi id and the same password, this allows me to travel from one area to another and never lose connection.  Has been working great for several years.

The additional EX7000 boxes were added because of a weak signal in the other two buildings.

Not familiar with a Mesh configuration but as I said the problem has been working since 2018 without any issues, not sure how one EX7000 could connect to another, they all have a direct ethernet connection to the router.

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

So its happened to 2x of the extenders but not the 3rd. 

Have you tried swapping them around to see if its a connection issue back to the main router? 

What firmware is on the extenders? 
I take it they're setup in access point mode? 

Message 4 of 6
tregnabp
Aspirant

Actually you make some good points.

You are correct, the third one was not failing

They were setup in extender mode and the firmware was not current.

I have updated the firmware on the two boxes that were failing.

The one that is not failing I was not able to update it for some reason, will try that one later since it is working.

I have now changed both of the ones that were failing to Access Point and have current firmware.

1. they are much faster and I already had a wired connection at both locations.

2. will now see if they have the issue again in AP mode.

3. Not sure why I had them in extender mode before.

Thanks for you assistance, will update this in week if they fail again or they continue to work

Thanks for listening.

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

Yeah, if they're hardwired in, they should be in access point mode. Like you mentioned, they're a lot faster when setup in access point mode/hardwired in. Extender mode cuts their throughput 50% just by how it has to function. 

Should make your network quite a bit more stable

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series