× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: @NIGHTHAWK X6 AC2200 Tri-Bank WiFi Mesh Extender extended network and connected devices

BlackFairy
Guide

@NIGHTHAWK X6 AC2200 Tri-Bank WiFi Mesh Extender extended network and connected devices

I have set up my Nighthawk EX7700/AC2200 X6 Tri-Bank WiFi Mesh Extender with the One WiFi Name feature and received confirmation the WiFi extender connection is up and running but I don't see the extended WiFi network name in my network list. Also, only one of my devices is listed as a connected device. How can I see the extended network name and connect my devices?

I've been trying to resolve this issue since I bought this product and have not been able to find a solution in the support articles.

Model: EX7700|AC2200 Nighthawk X6 Tri-Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: @NIGHTHAWK X6 AC2200 Tri-Bank WiFi Mesh Extender extended network and connected devices

Using the onewifi name, you won't see it as a seperate network. 

Thats the whole purpose of it is to have it with the same ssid and built in roaming. 

Also, its not the extender or router that moves devices between the router and the extender, its the device themselves. They have their own roaming protocol and will move as needed from router to extender as needed based on certain conditions. 

If you want to manually be abe to switch networks, you need to disable onewifi and set each network with their own name. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Using the onewifi name, you won't see it as a seperate network. 

Thats the whole purpose of it is to have it with the same ssid and built in roaming. 

Also, its not the extender or router that moves devices between the router and the extender, its the device themselves. They have their own roaming protocol and will move as needed from router to extender as needed based on certain conditions. 

If you want to manually be abe to switch networks, you need to disable onewifi and set each network with their own name. 

Message 2 of 9
BlackFairy
Guide

Thanks for responding. I understand what you're saying about the onewifiname. It's a better explanation than provided in the quick start setup instructions. All of our devices are connected successfully to the network. It was confusing to see only one device name listed under connected devices. I thought the extender wasn't working because I haven't noticed a real difference in connection speeds I've read about in reviews. I appreciate your assistance.

Message 3 of 9
plemans
Guru

the hard part about extenders is they can only be as good as the router and the placement. 

What router do you have? 

Also, placement is key. I usually move extenders around a few times to find an optimal place for it. Many make the mistake of only trying 1 location. That location could have something obstruction the signal in the walls (think hvac, foil lined insulation, etc). 

So try a couple spots. 

Message 4 of 9
BlackFairy
Guide

The router is a BGW210. I moved the extender this morning to a location that has a direct line of sight with the router and still centrally located which did seem to help. I'll try another location if this doesn't give better results. I'm trying to boost the signal upstairs to a home office.

Message 5 of 9
plemans
Guru

What speeds are you getting?

another thing is the EX7700 does band steering. Make sure the device you're speedtesting on is connected to the 5ghz. 2.4ghz is much much slower than 5ghz. 

Message 6 of 9
BlackFairy
Guide

Oh snap! I think that might be my problem because that would make sense. I'm going to check out my router settings. Thanks!

Message 7 of 9
BlackFairy
Guide

You're a genius! I checked all my computers and mine is pulling off the 2.4 GHz. Now wonder it's so freaking slow!

Message 8 of 9
plemans
Guru

Does that pc have 5ghz?

You will find that for a couple days, devices will end up on the 2.4ghz until the extender learns what band is more suitable for each device. 

Everytime I reset my orbi setup or extenders, the first few days are a little rough. 

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7