× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Need a wifi extender capable of DLNA

rarewolf
Aspirant

Need a wifi extender capable of DLNA

I'd like to find a wifi extender to replace an existing router (upstairs) configured as a repeater bridge for my ISP's router (downstairs). The existing repeater is either buggy or somehow not compatible with DLNA because DLNA broadcasting doesn't seem to work (ie, my DLNA server, hard-wired to my ISP's router, cannot see my smart Tv which should be broadcasting as a DLNA renderer). I've read that repeaters or extenders do need to create a "bridge" that is compatible.

I'm considering the Netgear EX6200 as it appears to have what I need but it's difficult to research the issues around DLNA. The replacement also needs to replace the functionality of the existing repeater, which serves upstairs computers for Internet access and as a gigabyte hub for computers and a NAS. The EX6200’s installation instructions also state that it should have line of sight access to the primary router, which would be a problem for me and which needs to be evaluated.

Any insight into Netgear products as they might pertain to my needs would be extremely appreciated. Cost is an issue but I'd much rather purchase the correct hardware than waste my time.
Message 1 of 4
nhann
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Need a wifi extender capable of DLNA

Hi rarewolf,

If the rooms are within the same electrical circuit, consider NETGEAR Powerline, particularly the PL1200 / PLP1200 for your case.

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/powerline/

You can run feature comparisons to see which one fits your requirements.

Message 2 of 4
rarewolf
Aspirant

@nhann wrote:

If the rooms are within the same electrical circuit, consider NETGEAR Powerline, particularly the PL1200 / PLP1200 for your case.

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/powerline/

You can run feature comparisons to see which one fits your requirements.

Thanks nhann!

I had been curious about the power line solutions, but had to wonder if the circuit would work. It's all within the home certainly, but the circuit downstairs would definitely have to return to the main fuse box before finding the circuit to the upstairs bedrooms. I'll look into it ...

cheers 🙂

Message 3 of 4
nhann
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You're welcome Smiley Happy

Let us know if it works out for you!

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos