× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Need better wifi coverage

Bassett72
Aspirant

Need better wifi coverage

OK, I have a TRI-LEVEL home.  For many reasons, I would love to change that, but it just isn't in the cards.  When I say TRI-LEVEL, there are actually 4 levels.  A basement (concrete walls and where my cable comes in), the next level up "Family room" (Concrete floor and off to the left of the basement), then the main level (sits above the basebment), and the 4th floor which are the bedrooms which are above the Family room).  I have the R9000 on top of our kichen cabinets (much to the displeasure of my wife) and I have the EX8000 on the far end of the Family room, which is the next level down from the Main Level (Kitchen).  I have a Switch in the basement which feeds all the wired jacks in my house.  I'm using the EX8000 as an AP, not the mesh system.  I started with the mesh form of that, but it didn't seem to work well.  As an AP, it is slightly better IF you are in the Family room.  Bascially, the Family Room and Main level have DECENT wifi, but the other 2 levels suck. 

Can something be added to the existing stuff to get better coverage in the basement and 4th level, or do I need to go to something like the Orbi system?

Also, I would like to get good coverage in my garage so I want to make sure I include that in the thought process.  My ISP is Spectrum at 200 mbps if that matters.  I want to be plug and play and something that I don't have to keep switching from one wifi band to another.  Which is what we have to do now.  IF we go in the Family Room, we switch to the EX8000, if we are on the Main Level, we switch to the R9000.  Anywhere else, we try both to see what works best. 

I had previously used 2 UBNT APs and had good luck getting coverage.  However, they were VERY old and once I had a problem I realized my technical skills were not up to par and I couldn't/don't have the time to spend trying to get them to work. I am half tempted to get their updated AP, but scared of it being too complicated to maintain.

If I need to supply more info, please let me konw.  I appreciate anything someone can do to help me here.

THanks..

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender, R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Need better wifi coverage

It works the best imo with a wired backhaul

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 10

All Replies
plemans
Guru

From the sounds of it, the orbi system would work well for you. You have a lot of concrete which does a great job of blocking wireless signals. this means you need more satellites. You also desire to have a single ssid setup. this again would point at an orbi setup. The benefit is that they are pretty set and forget once you have them setup and optimized. Just make sure they're at least 30 ft apart if you go that route. 

Message 2 of 10
Bassett72
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply.  When you say 30' apart, would that include up and down?

Message 3 of 10
plemans
Guru

Yes. At least a total of 30 foot away from each other
Message 4 of 10
Bassett72
Aspirant

Sorry, another thought.  IF they aren't 30' apart, what is the downfall?

Any reason to go with the new 6 Ultra or just go with old tri band wifi?

Another thing, if going with the old, which model would you suggest?

Message 5 of 10
Bassett72
Aspirant

Still looking for some help with the questions above and also...

Can I use Orbi AND save my current R9000??

Message 6 of 10
plemans
Guru

The way I have my network is similar. I have my CM1100-----RAX200 (with all but 1 wireless channel disabled)-----Orbi RBK53 (in AP mode).  

so you can use the orbi and R9000 if you'd like.  I just disabled most of the RAX's wireless so itt woudn't interfere with the orbi

Message 7 of 10
plemans
Guru

@Bassett72 wrote:

Sorry, another thought.  IF they aren't 30' apart, what is the downfall?

Any reason to go with the new 6 Ultra or just go with old tri band wifi?

Another thing, if going with the old, which model would you suggest?

If you can't get them 30ft apart you can have connections problems or issues with devices connecting to the wrong satellite/router. 

You can wait for the new ultra and try it out. It sounds a bit expensive at $700 for a router and a single satellite. Unless you've got several AX devices already, the older orbi might suit you well. I have the RBK53 system plus an outdoor satellite and orbi voice. My house is well saturated in signal and I can pretty much pull 200-400mbps anywhere in my house reliably.  Its kind of overkill but I like testing stuff out. 

Message 8 of 10
Bassett72
Aspirant

Thanks, for the help as I was leaning towards teh RBK53, I think that is the route I'm going to go.  It will be overkill, but that is OK with me.  Hopefully I can get some decent coin for my 3 month old R9000 and EX8000 parts.  Guess I'll try the Orbi first, the go to Ebay..

ONE last question...Hopefully....If I can Hardwire the satelites (run an etheret cable from my network switch to the satellite) does that help?  Or does that even work?  

Message 9 of 10
plemans
Guru

It works the best imo with a wired backhaul
Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7