× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Need extenders for WiFi router?

taramjackson6
Follower

Need extenders for WiFi router?

We moved to a bigger house and our modem/router are in the basement. We have the same amount of devices as our last house, which was smaller, with the same internet speed through Comcast Xfinity but our TV on our middle floor and devices in the upstairs are slow and stop to load a lot. It’s hard when I work at home especially. I was thinking that maybe getting a few extenders to extend the Internet up to the middle and top floors might be a good idea but I have no idea what to buy or how they work? Comcast said I have to do it through Netgear since I don’t use a Comcast router. I don’t think that increasing the Internet speed we will help much since it worked fine at our last house with all the same amount of devices. A link to what I should but would be helpful. This is a 3,600 sq ft house. Thank you!
Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: Need extenders for WiFi router?

1. what speeds do you pay for? 

2. What modem do you have?

3. What speeds do you get directly connected to the modem?

4. What speeds do you get directly connect to the router?

5. What are the interior walls and floors made of? certain materials block wifi much better than others. Things like hvac, foil lined insulation or floor liners, adobe, brick, concrete, plaster lathe can all block wifi very well.

6. do you have your streaming device running off the 5gh? its much higher throughput than 2.4ghz. plus 2.4ghz is more sensitive to interference. 

7. 3600sqft is a sizeable home. I've got 3200 sqft and run an orbi plus 2 satellites.

8. If you're needing more than 1 extender, i'd be looking at a system like orbi and not using the mesh extenders. The extenders work great but when you're needing more than 1, it can be an issue and its better to go with a full mesh system. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7