× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Need help/recommendations re connecting wifi extender

Swegnson2
Follower

Need help/recommendations re connecting wifi extender

I recently upgraded my cable conection to 200 mbps. As part of that the cable provider gave me a new router which is installed and working fine. I ran into trouble however trying to reconnect my WN3500RO wifi extender. I understand that the throughput is limited to 100 mbps, but I wanted to have it in place while I ordered a replacement. It would not connect via WPS and I could not follow the instructions to connect via internet browser so I contacted Netgear support.  After having me try a few things the CSR I connected with connected to my system via Splashtop. He ran a few queries with Command Prompt and then proceeded to tell me that I needed to reconfigure my DHCP server, that the foreign addresses were preventing the extender from connecting, and that he could do the work for $99. At this point I shut the remote control session down and told him I needed to do some more research. My questions to this group are -

1. is what I was told regarding the DHCP server possible or likely?
  2. if so, is reconfiguring the DHCP server something I could do myself? I searched online for diy instructions but struck out
  3. if not, who is Netgear using for their support? (this person had an Indian name and Indian accent)
  4. given how old the wifi extender is, is it likely there is some other issue
  5. if I order a current Netgear wifi extender will I still have the same issue?

I'm attaching a photo of the result of a netstat command prompt query which I think is what he ran before telling me I needed to reconfigure the DHCP server.

Two other points. I spoke to a friend who told me that he thought the recommendation was bogus. I also spoke to my cable providers support team who told me they have no instructions from their end on reconfiguring a DHCP server.

I don't really care about reconnecting the old wifi extender, but I am concerned about whether a can connect a new Netgear wifi extender without issue.

Model: WN3500RP|Universal Dual Band WiFi Extender
Message 1 of 1
Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7