× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Need procedure to connect Linksys E2500 > EX5000 extender

DGehman
Tutor

Need procedure to connect Linksys E2500 > EX5000 extender

My Linksys E2500 dual band won't connect with the Netgear EX5000 extender using WPS. I've enabled WPS in the Linksys and it uses WPA/WPA2 security.  The Linksys won't connect to the extender either with the WPS button on the router or via the Linksys browser-based control app.

Product docs say to try to connect to the Netgear installation assisttant, by finding NETGEAR_EXT on my Win 10 64 pro computer but it's nowhere to be found. I can't find a place to download it, if it's an app.

Looks like a good extender, but will have to go back if I can't install or connect it to my router.

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

They don't require new passwords. But I would try changing the ssid/password. 

Avoid using special characters or spaces as some (poorly coded ) devices have issues with those

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

You tried using wps? 

If so, factory reset the extender  and set it up using the installation assistant.

To factory reset, push and hold the reset button for 7-15 seconds while powered on. 

Here's a video of how to use the assistant. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJVklshxBMk

Message 2 of 5
DGehman
Tutor

It worked to the point where the extender is now seen. (The extended networks can be seen - [old network name]_2GEXT and [old network name]_5GEXT).

However, I can't get my wi-fi device (Amazon Echo Gen4) to connect.  It sees the new EXT networks. All 4 LEDS on the extender are green.

Maybe this is the issue? I simply carried over my non-ext (that is, the old) network password to both the new _2GEXT and _5GEXT extended networks. Do these new extended networks require new passwords?

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

They don't require new passwords. But I would try changing the ssid/password. 

Avoid using special characters or spaces as some (poorly coded ) devices have issues with those

Message 4 of 5
DGehman
Tutor

plemans, many thanks for your help.

We are now up and running. Our far bedroom Amazon Echos are seeing a very strong wifi signal, where before, we were getting dropouts with a touch of off-into-the-ether.

My situation was not normal because the engineering workstation that's my main computer does not have wifi and thus no way to find or connect to the extender's built-in local network NETGEAR_EXT. The workstation connects to the wifi router via Ethernet and the NETGEAR_EXT didn't show in any understanding place on the router's dashboard. 

Very much appreciated.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7